Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

woohoo got our math stuff in...and I have a question on it...

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son seen the teaching textbook samples and he wanted to use that for math. I got the 4th grade set in today. He is going into 3rd grade and was going to buy the 3rd grade set next month ( the 4th grade set was cheap on ebay so I got it 1st) but the 4th grade looks more on his level.. Should I start him in it if it looks like he can do or just let him work through 3rd grade...

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I would let him do it & if you think it is to hard then get the 3rd grade!

melissaoliver79
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

i know he has not been intorduced to divison last year in 2nd grade and dont want him to struggle if i skip 3rd grade math and 4th grade is harder... would you still do it then?

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I would go over the 4TH grade stuff & if the only thing that is different is division I would take the time this summer & in a fun way with games & cooking teach it to him myself. Have him find a recipe he wants to try & show him how to divide it in half. I now there are games that teach division at the teacher supply stores & you could look online for games to make at home that help him learn it as well as math games online!

Quoting melissaoliver79:

i know he has not been intorduced to divison last year in 2nd grade and dont want him to struggle if i skip 3rd grade math and 4th grade is harder... would you still do it then?

Quoting usmom3:

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

There is A LOT of review built in to Teaching Textbooks, so you should be fine to stick with the 4th grade. Lots of parents worry that TT is "behind" (and I hate using that word, sorry) other math texts. I think they don't give it enough of a chance and only look at the first part of the book, and that is where so much of it is review.

Now, for your son, I think he will be fine, because TT does a great job of working out every problem on the CDs if the child needs to see it done. So, I say keep going with the 4th grade stuff.

melissaoliver79
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

U thought it looked behind a little too but I figured it was review in the begining... I think I am going to let him start it and if he struggles I will use the 3rd grade math book (old ps textbook) I have to help him. Thanks

Quoting swim-mom72:

There is A LOT of review built in to Teaching Textbooks, so you should be fine to stick with the 4th grade. Lots of parents worry that TT is "behind" (and I hate using that word, sorry) other math texts. I think they don't give it enough of a chance and only look at the first part of the book, and that is where so much of it is review.

Now, for your son, I think he will be fine, because TT does a great job of working out every problem on the CDs if the child needs to see it done. So, I say keep going with the 4th grade stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)