Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: musical instruments?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:26 AM
  • 19 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love any musical instruments?  Which ones do you have and do your kids take lessons?  How do you incorporate music into their learning?

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

love it!!!! part of our homeschooling!

oldest- guitar and piano

2nd- guitar, piano, violin, well she can play any instrument

3rd- violin, guitar

4th- guitar, bass, drums, and mandolin

the kids learned from our friends in our church, they even provided the intruments till we could buy some, the kids loved to jam together, they were taught to read music, theory, sing, made a few cds, how to record, we use protools to record with

lucsch
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Love it! All my children have been required to have at least a few years of instruction.

Son #1 played trombone from 5th through 12th grades. He was able to go on a summer tour of Europe with a state band, because of that. He also made a little money playing in a trio. He and I joined a community band for a few years. It was a fun mother-son activity.

Son #2 played saxophone in band and jazz band for about 5 years. His main instrument is piano. He BEGGED for lessons when he was 6. He is now in college double majoring in mathematical economics and music. He makes money on the side playing as an accompanist. He could also give piano lessons. Honestly, he is a naturally talented kid when it comes to music. He can pick up any instrument and play something on it within 10 minutes. He picked up guitar on his own. My dh, whose instrument is guitar, says said son plays better than someone who has had years of lessons.

Son #3 has ZERO interest in playing music. Still, he took a few years of piano and played trumpet in the band for 5 years. He has a working knowledge of it. I think it is good for anyone.

Daughter, my homeschooled child, has had 3 years of  piano lessons. She is moving very slowly through her lessons. I do hope that she shows a bit more enthusiasm for flute, which I plan to teach to her starting in the next year or two.

Studies (for what they are worth!) have shown a connection between music and math. I do have to say that, at least with my children, they are all math whizzes.

oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

sounds like they love music!!

lucsch, ive heard that about music and math also, wonder if its true? 2 were wizzes and the others didnt hate it.

Quoting lucsch:

Love it! All my children have been required to have at least a few years of instruction.

Son #1 played trombone from 5th through 12th grades. He was able to go on a summer tour of Europe with a state band, because of that. He also made a little money playing in a trio. He and I joined a community band for a few years. It was a fun mother-son activity.

Son #2 played saxophone in band and jazz band for about 5 years. His main instrument is piano. He BEGGED for lessons when he was 6. He is now in college double majoring in mathematical economics and music. He makes money on the side playing as an accompanist. He could also give piano lessons. Honestly, he is a naturally talented kid when it comes to music. He can pick up any instrument and play something on it within 10 minutes. He picked up guitar on his own. My dh, whose instrument is guitar, says said son plays better than someone who has had years of lessons.

Son #3 has ZERO interest in playing music. Still, he took a few years of piano and played trumpet in the band for 5 years. He has a working knowledge of it. I think it is good for anyone.

Daughter, my homeschooled child, has had 3 years of  piano lessons. She is moving very slowly through her lessons. I do hope that she shows a bit more enthusiasm for flute, which I plan to teach to her starting in the next year or two.

Studies (for what they are worth!) have shown a connection between music and math. I do have to say that, at least with my children, they are all math whizzes.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I love music but learning how to play an instrument is  up to each child!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
We love music. My kids are learning violin & guitar using an iPad tutor.
plclemo
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM
LOVE IT! Our daughter plays the piano but her favorite is classical guitar. She has been taking lessons on both for 8 years but prefers guitar hands down. I have played clarinet for 40 years and 4 years ago took up the oboe. My husband plays piano and guitar also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

My DS1 is learning to play guitar.

Danielle163
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

DD will be learning to play guitar this year. I never did learn to play any instruments and really regret it. I've heard of that connection between music and math as well. We are going to be using a computer-tutor. I'm going to see if I can learn too. Should be fun!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I think all kids need to at least learn to read music and have the basics. DS1 played trumpet for about a year, DS2 took guitar, DD did about 6 mo of piano/keyboard until our keyboard broke :(

I really want them all to play again, we will see since our budget took some huge cuts :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Debbie, I don't know but there are a LOT of articles online about it.

Look at this wikipedia article--you'd have to be a math whiz to understand it. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

Now, my dh writes lyrics, poetry, and plays guitar well; he did ok in algebra but hated every minute of it. He has ZERO interest in science or understanding the complexities of ANYTHING. We are total opposites. I have enough love of math and curiousity for the both of us. LOL

I am wondering if the innate ability to understand music can also indicate a natural understanding of mathematical concepts. If children typically only choose music as a hobby or interest, it may mean they have a talent in that area which may also lead to mathematical "talent." If we forced all children to learn music, we may find that the connection is not really created by learning music. I don't know. Perhaps I should go read some of those many studies that came up on google. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)