Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: musical instruments?

Posted by   + Show Post

giving heartOR devil

Do you love any musical instruments?  Which ones do you have and do your kids take lessons?  How do you incorporate music into their learning?

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:26 AM
Replies (11-19):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Love it! We have the normal kid instruments, tambourine, drum, etc but I'd like to get Julia in piano lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Love it!

My family is very musical.  My husband plays guitar.  He started teaching the boys when they were about six.  Well, they didn't take much interest in it...lol.  Then all of a sudden a about a month before Christmas one of them said that they wanted a guitar and the other one wanted a set of drums.  So that is what they got for Christmas that year.  They were 9 at that time (liked 3 months being 10).  They are now 14 and they still play those instruments and have gotten pretty good.  The one that plays drums has also been teaching himself to play some keyboard.  I sing.  My daughter is 5 and for Christmas or for her birthday she is wanting a violin.  The biggest problem is that there is no one within 40 minutes of us that teaches it!  But we have decided that if she wants to learn to play then we will drive once a week or once every other week for her to have lessons.

oredeb
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

yea so interesting!!!!hey im not good with math and im not musically inclined!!

Quoting lucsch:

Debbie, I don't know but there are a LOT of articles online about it.

Look at this wikipedia article--you'd have to be a math whiz to understand it. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

Now, my dh writes lyrics, poetry, and plays guitar well; he did ok in algebra but hated every minute of it. He has ZERO interest in science or understanding the complexities of ANYTHING. We are total opposites. I have enough love of math and curiousity for the both of us. LOL

I am wondering if the innate ability to understand music can also indicate a natural understanding of mathematical concepts. If children typically only choose music as a hobby or interest, it may mean they have a talent in that area which may also lead to mathematical "talent." If we forced all children to learn music, we may find that the connection is not really created by learning music. I don't know. Perhaps I should go read some of those many studies that came up on google. :)

Bethsunshine
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I think learning a musical instrument is one of the best things a child can learn. My kids have taken piano lessons for a few years, which is an excellent way to learn how to read music. They aren't taken piano lessons anymore, but my oldest son takes trumpet lessons and my youngest son takes saxophone lessons. My husband and I are both in our church orchestra; he plays tuba and I play clarinet and our oldest also plays in the orchestra. Our youngest wants to be in the orchestra too, but he still has a little ways to go before he will be ready. I'm hoping that by the end of this year, he will be able to join us, at least to play a few songs. I can also play piano, but I haven't touched it in months; too many other things going on!!
lucsch
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Oh, and a wonderful resource that many don't think about is a community band or orchestra. I put my 6th grader in one, with me, along with my 10th grader. He was already quite good at piano, but he learned a lot about playing the saxophone by being in that band. :) For someone who had only played the instrument one year, he was playing some hard pieces! It is also a great resource for people that never learned an instrument. It is never too late!

Lower48
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

My 11yo plays viola, piano and percussion. My 4yo will be starting violin in a few weeks. I'm a violin teacher, I have a private studio, so I was hoping they would express an interest, but I didn't push it on them. We just take a little time in the morning to practice. My older one enjoys playing music with others, so I'm sure that in the near future we'll have to work more opportunities into our schedule, but for now it's a part of our morning routine.

Lisa009
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Our family has music on both sides so my 2.5 year old has already had a lot of exposure to singing, piano and trumpet. I have also inherited my Mom's harp. He loves his toy drums and xylophones. He is also allowed to play our piano since we have taught him early on how to be gentle and careful with it. He loves to hear the music played and sung at church.

It would be hard to imagine he won't be involved in something ...just waiting till he is older. For now, we are just having fun with music.  :-) 

"Children are a gift from God."

ablessedlife
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM
My husband is not musical, but he is extremely supportive, even pushy sometimes. At our hs conference last year, Andrew Pudewa (Excellence in Writing). He did a whole hour on the importance of learning to play an instrument. He said that many parents will only put their child into lessons if there is "money left over" for that. He also said that often the practice comes at the end of the day, when all the other work is done. But he told us that music practice is so important that it should come first in the day and it should be a priority when establishing the hs budget.
Here is a pamphlet from him:http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/MUS%20Insert.pdf

Our family is committed to the Susuki Violin Program and I practice with them In the morning about 5 days a week.

Here is his full article:
http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/m_not-nice.pdf
(sorry I'm on my husband's iPhone and I can't make it clickable. Perhaps one of you might do it for me?)
Here is an audio interview with him on the subject:http://www.notablepeople.org/blog/2011/09/interview-with-andrew-pudewa-the-profound-effects-of-music-on-life/
Mom2theboy1994
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

We have a flute, a trumpet, and a piano.

I give him lessons on each as he requests, but it's not part of his daily school work. It's just something we've always done since he was very young. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)