Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help choosing high school curriculum-new question posted

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 24 Replies

My boys will be in 9th grade.  They have been attending PS up until now.  

I am thinking about using different curriculums to use for HS.  I have been looking at Switched on Schoolhouse, Lifepac, and Abeka.  I will use Abeka for health because I got a really great deal on Ebay.  I am very good in math and took pre-calculus in college last summer so I know that I woul be able to help them with their Algebra with no problem.  My weakest subject is Science.  I am not great in History either, but as long as I have a teacher's manual I would be fine. 

I would love to hear everyone's input.  Thanks.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

i can tell ya what i used for these grades

ive used sos for all of the subjects, its good, but lots of computer work

for science i use apologia (christian), answers in genesis, christian liberty, abeka, real science for kids(fun experiments), and the library and internet

heres a neat chart that might help  for science:

Quick Curriculum Comparison Chart

Curriculum: Bob Jones Apologia Alpha Omega LifePac Switched-on Schoolhouse Real Science 4 Kids R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey
Grades K-12 2-12 K-12 3-12 K-9 1-6
Scope & sequence Excellent Excellent Good Good Good Excellent
Hands-on activities Excellent Very Good Good Good Good Very Good
Lab costs High Low High for H.S. Moderate Low Moderate
Parental involvement & prep time High Low Low Low Moderate Moderate
Who we recommend this for: Elementary age to provide a solid science foundation; high school for families with a strong science background. All jr. high/ high school courses for most homeschool families; good topical courses available for elementary, too. Families who like a workbook format (especially for grades 1-6) & students who work well independently w/ self-paced style. Families who want a self-paced course that can be done at the computer. This is also an Alpha Omega curriculum. Families who don't want to do science every year in K-6 but want a solid foundation for jr/sr high. Families who want lots of hands-on activities and a solid science background for jr/sr high.
Perspective Christian Christian Christian Christian Non-sectarian Non-sectarian

heres a neat math site we use khan academy theres also lots of science stuff on here, just scroll down! for the last 20 yrs ive used saxon math (heres a placement test for it  http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/resources/result.htm?title=Placement  ) 

history we used, streams of civilization (all the kids had to do these! they are great, both volumes), vertis press, abeka, lots of unit studies, things they were interested i learning ,

heres a secular site that might help if you want secular stuff  http://www.atheistview.com/secular_homeschool.htm 

Language arts i use rod and staff, abeka, total lang. plus, are my favorites! 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Quoting oredeb:

i can tell ya what i used for these grades

ive used sos for all of the subjects, its good, but lots of computer work

for science i use apologia (christian), answers in genesis, christian liberty, abeka, real science for kids(fun experiments), and the library and internet

heres a neat chart that might help  for science:

Quick Curriculum Comparison Chart

Curriculum: Bob Jones Apologia Alpha Omega LifePac Switched-on Schoolhouse Real Science 4 Kids R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey
Grades K-12 2-12 K-12 3-12 K-9 1-6
Scope & sequence Excellent Excellent Good Good Good Excellent
Hands-on activities Excellent Very Good Good Good Good Very Good
Lab costs High Low High for H.S. Moderate Low Moderate
Parental involvement & prep time High Low Low Low Moderate Moderate
Who we recommend this for: Elementary age to provide a solid science foundation; high school for families with a strong science background. All jr. high/ high school courses for most homeschool families; good topical courses available for elementary, too. Families who like a workbook format (especially for grades 1-6) & students who work well independently w/ self-paced style. Families who want a self-paced course that can be done at the computer. This is also an Alpha Omega curriculum. Families who don't want to do science every year in K-6 but want a solid foundation for jr/sr high. Families who want lots of hands-on activities and a solid science background for jr/sr high.
Perspective Christian Christian Christian Christian Non-sectarian Non-sectarian

heres a neat math site we use khan academy theres also lots of science stuff on here, just scroll down! for the last 20 yrs ive used saxon math (heres a placement test for it  http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/resources/result.htm?title=Placement  ) 

history we used, streams of civilization (all the kids had to do these! they are great, both volumes), vertis press, abeka, lots of unit studies, things they were interested i learning ,

heres a secular site that might help if you want secular stuff  http://www.atheistview.com/secular_homeschool.htm 

Language arts i use rod and staff, abeka, total lang. plus, are my favorites! 

Thanks so much.  I am trying to spend less than 300.00 for both of the boys.  They are in the same grade so of course I would only need one teacher's guide, teacher's keys, etc.  I have looked at BJU but found it to be on the expensive side.  I have not really looked online at BJU yet though.

I am going to also be teaching my 5 year old daughter so I am going to have to get the boys some stuff that requires very little parental involvement.  I really want to be very involved in their math.  I will probably just get Abeka Algebra 1 and use it to teach them. 

I do like the idea of some computer work and some workbook stuff.  So, I really like the idea of a mixture of curriculum. It will allow me to mix some programs that require little parental involovement and some that does. I really feel that it will benefit our family better since I have one so much younger than they are. 

I definitely want a christian viewpoint from whatever we use, since this is part of the reason that we have decided to HS. 

oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM

9th grade the kids can do it all on their own,  make out a lesson plan each week for them and let them go at it!!

be sure to check out the used curr site on the internet maybe you have one in your town?

what about old fashioned education, its free

Quoting starbeck96:

Thanks so much.  I am trying to spend less than 300.00 for both of the boys.  They are in the same grade so of course I would only need one teacher's guide, teacher's keys, etc.  I have looked at BJU but found it to be on the expensive side.  I have not really looked online at BJU yet though.

I am going to also be teaching my 5 year old daughter so I am going to have to get the boys some stuff that requires very little parental involvement.  I really want to be very involved in their math.  I will probably just get Abeka Algebra 1 and use it to teach them. 

I do like the idea of some computer work and some workbook stuff.  So, I really like the idea of a mixture of curriculum. It will allow me to mix some programs that require little parental involovement and some that does. I really feel that it will benefit our family better since I have one so much younger than they are. 

I definitely want a christian viewpoint from whatever we use, since this is part of the reason that we have decided to HS. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Quoting oredeb:

That's what I was going to ay, let the kids take charge of their education and work some independantly.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Thank you so much for your help.

I know that they should be able to work independetly, but with them just coming out of the PS I guess I wasn't sure.  I know for sure that they are going to need lots of help with Algebra.  The past two years they have not had very good math teachers.  This last year was really bad.  They both had a C average for the year.  This is the first time ever.  They had all A's in everything else so I know it was the teacher.  Well, one of them also had a C average in Reading but they did reading with their homeroom teacher and his homeroom teacher was also the math teacher.  She was just not a good teacher at all and she didn't care!!

For Language Arts/Spelling I know that they will be fine working independently.  They both do very well in this area. 

I went ahead and got Algebra 1 from Abeka.  I found it on ebay for a quarter of the cost so I knew it was a good deal.  This will allow me to be more hands on with them for Algebra.

I am going to make my own Bible curriculum.  I have already started planning some of it.

For History and Science they should be fine working mostly inependent also.  These are my weak subjects anyway.  DH will probably have to help them with these..

Thanks for the website, I will have to check it out..

Quoting oredeb:

9th grade the kids can do it all on their own,  make out a lesson plan each week for them and let them go at it!!

be sure to check out the used curr site on the internet maybe you have one in your town?

Quoting starbeck96:

AmyG1976
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

we used The American School first once dd was done with all the classes 18 credits :) that should be the end of this summer and begining of her jr year (americanschoolofcorr.com) or something like that.  she is doing S.O.S. 1100 LA and Science and 1200 history and math along with Abeka history and idk yet for health... then for senior year she is doing SOS 1200 LA and science, spanish and doing college plus for her gen ed college classes.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM

OK, so far for 9th grade you have Abeka Health, Abeka Alg 1, and you are making your own materials for Bible? Is that correct? So, if you like the looks of Abeka, maybe using them for science as well would be the way to go. Everyone has their favorites for different publishers for each subject, but I think Apologia and Bob Jones are really strong science for those homeschool kids on a college track.

For History, I think that depends on 2 things, what they have already covered in PS and what long term goals you have in mind for them. If they have not covered ancient history yet, which is very likely since most public schools skip it, then that is a good place to start. I really like Mystery of History, Sonlight, Winters Promise and Bob Jones' World Studies for history.

For Language and Literature you could try the Learning Language Through Literature series. Or you could just compile a book list based on whatever era you choose for them to study in history, add in the Easy Grammar or Daily Grams 9th grade book, and pick something for writing.

Good Luck!

AmyG1976
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM

My sister my sisters dh my dh and my oldest dd went to PS and private schools before homeschooling all started in 9th or 10th grade all were fine and working on own right away I wouldnt worry too much about it. My sister also was VERY bad with PS hated it and did nothing (think got one credit total her freshman year) yet homeschooling she did on own and did very well right from the get go   

Quoting starbeck96:

I know that they should be able to work independetly, but with them just coming out of the PS I guess I wasn't sure.  I know for sure that they are going to need lots of help with Algebra.  The past two years they have not had very good math teachers.  This last year was really bad.  They both had a C average for the year.  This is the first time ever.  They had all A's in everything else so I know it was the teacher.  Well, one of them also had a C average in Reading but they did reading with their homeroom teacher and his homeroom teacher was also the math teacher.  She was just not a good teacher at all and she didn't care!!

For Language Arts/Spelling I know that they will be fine working independently.  They both do very well in this area. 

I went ahead and got Algebra 1 from Abeka.  I found it on ebay for a quarter of the cost so I knew it was a good deal.  This will allow me to be more hands on with them for Algebra.

I am going to make my own Bible curriculum.  I have already started planning some of it.

For History and Science they should be fine working mostly inependent also.  These are my weak subjects anyway.  DH will probably have to help them with these..

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting starbeck96:

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Thank you.  I know they will be fine, but that it will be an adjustment.  We will not start their schooling until August or September so they will have plenty of time to rest before we get started.  I have already started my daughter (we are only doing about 30-45 minutes per day) to kind of get her in a routine of things. 

The boys are getting kind of excited about HS and so I am..

Quoting AmyG1976:

My sister my sisters dh my dh and my oldest dd went to PS and private schools before homeschooling all started in 9th or 10th grade all were fine and working on own right away I wouldnt worry too much about it. My sister also was VERY bad with PS hated it and did nothing (think got one credit total her freshman year) yet homeschooling she did on own and did very well right from the get go   

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting starbeck96:

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting AmyG1976:

we used The American School first once dd was done with all the classes 18 credits :) that should be the end of this summer and begining of her jr year (americanschoolofcorr.com) or something like that.  she is doing S.O.S. 1100 LA and Science and 1200 history and math along with Abeka history and idk yet for health... then for senior year she is doing SOS 1200 LA and science, spanish and doing college plus for her gen ed college classes.

Thanks.  I don't think I've heard of The American School.  I will check it out though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN