Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help choosing high school curriculum-new question posted

Posted by   + Show Post

My boys will be in 9th grade.  They have been attending PS up until now.  

I am thinking about using different curriculums to use for HS.  I have been looking at Switched on Schoolhouse, Lifepac, and Abeka.  I will use Abeka for health because I got a really great deal on Ebay.  I am very good in math and took pre-calculus in college last summer so I know that I woul be able to help them with their Algebra with no problem.  My weakest subject is Science.  I am not great in History either, but as long as I have a teacher's manual I would be fine. 

I would love to hear everyone's input.  Thanks.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (21-24):
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Quoting starbeck96:

I have been looking at what to do about Literature.  My boys do not really like to read but I know how important it is.

So, my question is:  What books/novels do you think would be best for them to start with?  I was thinking about something like Huckleberry Fin, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, or something like this.  I know this might be just a little under them, but since they have never had to write a book report and they've never really done any Literature of any kind, I thought books like that would be a good way to start.

I am going to take someone's advice and get the study guides for the books that we choose.  Then, I thought it would be good to have them write a book report at least once every 4-6 weeks. 

I am completely new to this and I am just not sure how to go about this.  I thought about just ordering Literature through a curriculum but I think that it would be more fun to do it like this.  It would mean I would have to read the  book also, but that is fine with me.  I love to read anyway..

Thank you for your help..

I like for most subjects to "touch: eachother in some way, some sort of cennective thread between them. So, we do Lit. the way Sonlight does it, it matches what the boys are studying in history. So, this year, since we were studying Medievil and Renisance, they read books like Ivanhoe, Morning Star of the Reformation, Crispin and the Cross of Lead, Otto of the Silver Hand and Joan of Arc.

Here are some titles that might fit in a 9th grade line up: The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, White Fang, Watership Down, Red Badge of Courage, Lord of the Rings books, and Anna and the King.

Progeny Press is a good place to get all kinds of lit. guides. Christianbooks.com is another place that sells quite a few lit. guides.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thank you.  I have been looking for most of my stuff on christianbook.com and Ebay. 

That sounds like a great idea.  I am not exactly sure what they will be studying in History yet since I have not purchased the curriculum.  I do know that they do World History in the PS here.  We are trying to kind of follow what they do so in case they were to have to go back (hopefully they won't) that they will be in accordance with their guidelines. 

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting starbeck96:

I have been looking at what to do about Literature.  My boys do not really like to read but I know how important it is.

So, my question is:  What books/novels do you think would be best for them to start with?  I was thinking about something like Huckleberry Fin, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, or something like this.  I know this might be just a little under them, but since they have never had to write a book report and they've never really done any Literature of any kind, I thought books like that would be a good way to start.

I am going to take someone's advice and get the study guides for the books that we choose.  Then, I thought it would be good to have them write a book report at least once every 4-6 weeks. 

I am completely new to this and I am just not sure how to go about this.  I thought about just ordering Literature through a curriculum but I think that it would be more fun to do it like this.  It would mean I would have to read the  book also, but that is fine with me.  I love to read anyway..

Thank you for your help..

I like for most subjects to "touch: eachother in some way, some sort of cennective thread between them. So, we do Lit. the way Sonlight does it, it matches what the boys are studying in history. So, this year, since we were studying Medievil and Renisance, they read books like Ivanhoe, Morning Star of the Reformation, Crispin and the Cross of Lead, Otto of the Silver Hand and Joan of Arc.

Here are some titles that might fit in a 9th grade line up: The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, White Fang, Watership Down, Red Badge of Courage, Lord of the Rings books, and Anna and the King.

Progeny Press is a good place to get all kinds of lit. guides. Christianbooks.com is another place that sells quite a few lit. guides.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Oh yeah, and currclick.com has some really good deals on downloadable guides for lit. studies. Those are great because you do not have to wait for them to come in the mail! LOL, just download and go : )

You guys are gonna have a great year I bet. Your boys are gonna love it more than your daughter I bet!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Thank you so much.  I will definitely check it out!  That sounds great!

Yes, I really think the boys are going to enjoy it.  I have told them it is not going to be easy at first but we will make it fun.  They are going to get to do so much more.  I think my daughter will enjoy it more also since her brothers are going to be here. I really am quite nervous though.  It is just so overwhelming right now, but I know I can do it!

I was telling them that Apologia has Marine Biology and they got excited!  So, I think we are going to let them take Marine Biology as an elective this year. 

Quoting swim-mom72:

Oh yeah, and currclick.com has some really good deals on downloadable guides for lit. studies. Those are great because you do not have to wait for them to come in the mail! LOL, just download and go : )

You guys are gonna have a great year I bet. Your boys are gonna love it more than your daughter I bet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)