Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's the best book/product buy you've bought as & for a HS mom?

Posted by   + Show Post

I hardly ever shop online, but I'm looking for some really great book(s)/product(s) that'll help me on my HS journey. Any recommendations?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:53 AM
Replies (11-15):
ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

my laminator

energygirl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

was glad to find this post (and promptly put some of the books on library hold!) To add to the list: books that I thought were good enough to own: Educating The Whole Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson (I have the older version off amazon and have seen the newer one at the library and you don't need to pay extra for the updated one)..... Managers of their homes (good resource to look through although I own it I think borrowing it to skim is enough)....and the fiction series off the titus2 website (Spring with the Moodys, Summer with the Moodys...etc. etc.. 8 separate chapter books for kids (written by Sarah Maxwell who was homeschooled herself). Great values, lessons, my kids can relate to the characters in the story as they do homeschool, devotions, service projects for neighbors, look for ways to be helpful around the house, and ask for forgiveness from siblings in everyday adventures).  I read them aloud to my kids now, but in another year my oldest will be able to read them.  Good wholesome family stories.....

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM

ok, maybe I have to give in and just buy this, The only thing is, I only have a mac and the cd says not-mac-compatible. Is it worth it if you can't use the cd at all? Maybe I can find it used for cheaper without cd, since I can't use it on my computer...

I just been figuring that for $60+, I can get several years worth of Spellwell workbooks instead! 

Quoting JKronrod:

Spelling Power by Beverley Adams-Gordon.  Insanely expensive for a book ($60?), but I've used it for two of my children, and expect to buy another copy soon (mine's completely fallen apart from hard use over the years) to use with my last one.  It goes from K through college, and brought my daughter (who takes after her mother in the spelling department -- i.e., really, really bad) up to speed in spelling. 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you absolutely can do this without using the CD.  The CD has an oral explanation of the technique (which is really not that complicated -- although the book is long-winded) and all of the forms that are available on  the disk are shown in smaller size in the text.  For example, the "10-Step Study Sheet" is on page 21 of my copy.  If you have a scanner, you could probably scan each of them and then enlarge, if you wanted to. Frankly, after a few months we didn't use any of the sheets.  My kids knew what they were supposed to do, so plain paper worked just as well.  The real value, to my mind, is in the selection and organization of the word lists (with the build in review, etc.) which simplifies my life, plus the structure of "how to review" which the kids learn relatively quickly (although you do have to keep on them to do all the steps since it does make a difference). 

Quoting Chasing3:

ok, maybe I have to give in and just buy this, The only thing is, I only have a mac and the cd says not-mac-compatible. Is it worth it if you can't use the cd at all? Maybe I can find it used for cheaper without cd, since I can't use it on my computer...I just been figuring that for $60+, I can get several years worth of Spellwell workbooks instead! 

Quoting JKronrod:

Spelling Power by Beverley Adams-Gordon.  Insanely expensive for a book ($60?), but I've used it for two of my children, and expect to buy another copy soon (mine's completely fallen apart from hard use over the years) to use with my last one.  It goes from K through college, and brought my daughter (who takes after her mother in the spelling department -- i.e., really, really bad) up to speed in spelling. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I loved the Story of the world books, as well as StudiesWeekly.com. When my kids were little we also did time4learning.com and readingeggs.com that's about it. I think...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)