Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschool / A beka / ( Georgia )

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am currently in NC but we will be pcs'ing to Ft. Benning ( Columbus ) Ga in the Fall.  I have decided to homeschool my daughters and have already looked up the laws, etc... for the state.  I have also decided on a curriculum, A beka, but will be adding in other material as I see fit.

Are there any other GA moms here?

What do you ladies think about A beka?

Do you know of any playgrounds, etc... in the Columbus area?

How do you go about testing at the end of the year?

How do you teach a foreign language?

I still have a lot of research to do but any advice or comments that I can get will be great. 

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
edelweiss23
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Abeka is the best. I have used it for years for my girls. They love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Are there any other GA moms here?  Hi.  I live in AL, but am only about an hour and fifteen minutes from Columbus, GA.

What do you ladies think about A beka?  Abeka is a great program.  I used to teach at a christian school and they used Abeka.  I absolutely love their Language Arts/Reading program.

Do you know of any playgrounds, etc... in the Columbus area?   sorry I can't help you there.

How do you go about testing at the end of the year?   I am not sure, since I am also new to HS, but I have read where some people do the state tests at least once every two years to make sure their kids are on target.  I am not familiar with GA state laws though.

How do you teach a foreign language?  I am planning on using Rosetta Stone for my boys.  They will be in 9th grade.  I've heard alot of good things about it. 

I still have a lot of research to do but any advice or comments that I can get will be great. 

I am new to HS so I don't have alot of advice other than to make it fun! 

I am using Abeka for my daughter (will be in kindergarten) and I will be using parts of Abeka for the boys.  Their dad is still not sure about letting them HS.  They both want to HS and I would love for them to.  He is just nervous about it..  The more research I do though, the more confident I have become that HS is best.  I've noticed a difference in the way the boys act (in a good way)  just by being out of the PS for two weeks.  I want this to continue..

calimom1123
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I have used abeka. Dd used it for prek-3rd. It gave her a great foundation. By the end of 3rd it started getting pretty repetitive and boring for her. 4th looked the same so we are switching to bju(bob jones) this year which looks great. Oh and im not in ga sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

abeka is a very good curr! i use some of the history and science books when making my unit studies

they use to have some booklets called poetry and writing or something like that they are very very good booklets to get, they help with creative writing

lovingmy5girls
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Thank you for your advice ladies.

I am excited to get started.  

Aleshad01
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM
We will be using Abeka for everything but math. I decided to go with Saxon.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM
We are using Abeka Academy for both girls. I have one doing the K4 program and the other just finished Kindergarten and will be starting 1st grade in September. My youngest in the K4 program will be starting K5 (kindergarten in Jan). That is 6 mos ahead of her birthday. The academy allows you to start at 4 as long as they will be 5 within 6 mos of starting K5. The girls love it and it takes the stress out of teaching them as they are being instructed by a teacher. BTW I am in Fl so I don't know anything about GA laws and how it works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)