Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to decide if homeschooling is for us

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello there! My DS is getting ready to start Kindergarten this upcoming school year. I have been considering homeschooling my children. He went to Pre-K last year, so this would be new to me. How do you get started? What supplies do you need? How do you balance other children, more specifically an infant and a 3 year old, while teaching? What does it cost to homeschool? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

*/-77Welcome!

Kinder is an extremely easy, extremely fun year. There are so many ways to do it and curriculum out there, it can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it too be. I make my own plans, so I only spend maybe $50 all together on Kinder and First. There are free worksheet sites, the library for books, the Metro Parks nature programs, and of course, places like Pinterest (sp? lol) and blogs to get ideas. I would look up your state's Standards of Content to see what exactly public school kids are learning. You would be surprised how low the bar will be. In Ohio, at the end of the year, the State wants kids to be able to just count to 10. It's amazing. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Sorry, for the typos, my youngest (9months) was helping me type.

Learning happens all the time and everywhere. You can work with your oldest while the younger two are napping, or having a snack, or learning right along side you. I print out worksheets for my 2yo to scribble on when the older two are working.

Everyone can watch Youtube videos on how butterflies grow from caterpillars. I nurse my daughter and practice reading with my DS or grade my DD math sheets. Homeschooling is a life style, eventually, you'll be squeezing in a math lesson while cooking, and a science lesson about how water can be all 3 states of matter. It will just start happening. Suddenly, it won't be as important that ALL of your school work wasn't completely done, because your child mastered the concept and is ready to move on.

Home school for the love of learning, not to replicate the entire public school day in your living room. 8) What takes a classroom to learn in an hour, a single child working at his or her own pace will cover A LOT more ground, even with a younger sibling or two bouncing around.

ren109
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for your advice. See, that is why I am seriously considering homeschooling. DS is incredibly bright. He was getting bored at pre-k and not wanting to do some of the work. He just doesn't like to color. He'll do math problems and sounding out words all day long, but having to sit and color a picture doesn't interest him. His pre-k teacher was concerned that he wouldn't be able to keep up in kinder because of that. I think he'd excell from a more personalized education plan. Is there any specific thing I would have to do as far as notifying the school district that I'd be homeschooling? It's probably different for different states. I live in Florida.

Saraho5
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM
^ & in Kindergarten there will probably be lots of coloring sheets! Busy work & easy to occupy 20 plus students that way, no?

I think HSLDA.com has a link for all the states and their homeschooling laws.

I'm new to homeschooling myself!
I'm kinda piecing mine together versus going with just one specific company.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
First step is the laws in your state:

In fFL you have 3 options :
1) private school that offers a HS option
2) private tutor
3) homeschool

So, once your son nears age 6 (compulsory age in Fl) you would sent in your notice of intent. Keep a portfolio (sampling of his work throughout the year) and get an annual educational evaluation by a certifited teacher. Easy!

I HS pretty much for close to free. I try to budget at least $100/child/year. My DH was laid off a year ago, so we don't have the money to spend on a lot of fancy curriculum. But I've always recommended people wait until around 2nd grade to purchase a fancy curriculum (for those that want pre packaged).

I started schooling my children when they were about 2.5 y/o, so I would work w/ the oldest for longer but the younger would jump in to learn for small chunks of time. But I also got some educational videos and websites for the youngers. They would also play in a booster seat with playdough, finger paint, etc. you only need to do about 2 hours of work with someone in k. And that does not have to be 2 hours in a single chunk of time, you can break it up to 20 min chunks. Otherwise, just let your kids have the lead and follow their own curriosity.

Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

heres your state law!  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/files/statelaws/FLPacket2011.pdf

do what it says first, looks like you dont have to do anything till hes turning six.

supplies- pencils, paper, art stuff, a place to work at(table, couch, floor, outside etc)

balance of other kid- let the other kids be part of it, give them a crayon and some paper, let them scribble, or just listen or play while your doing some work with your son, when its something you need to be one on one, you can wait till your other kids take a nap, or have them watch a video or in the evening time when your dh can watch the little kids

cost- it can cost as much as you want! if you copy stuff from the comp. that will be paper and ink cost, if you buy stuff on line buy it used, amazon seems to have a lot of used school stuff, ebay, rainbow resources, theres others!

be sure to have fun with your kids, do lots of hands on stuff, play with them, dance with them, read to them, do arts and crafts stuff with them, just simple things like that at this age is learning!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

All good advice by others, and yes it is important to know your state laws before doing anything.  I am a Floridian, and your State Home School Association is FPEA.  They are awesome, and will help you with State laws, finding other home educators near you, the letter of intent,  and much more.  Here is their link:  Florida Parent Educators Association

My children are now grown, but I still tutor and give  Home school workshops.  Because I get asked a lot of questions like your, I have put together a  free web page to answer the most common ones at the following link:  How To Home School

officiallyapeac
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hello,

Check Florida's guidelines for homeschooling.

Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Hi I just got accepted today to begin homeschooling. It varies state to state. I went to www.hslda.org and looked under the laws of my state, which is Rhode Island and they helped start the process. I have been doing some reading about when you have other children at home when you are homeschooling, and try to keep them distracted by having something special to do during that time. Try to have one on one time with them. With your 3 year old you can have him or her learning like on a pre-k book, I wouldn't go out and get a textbook for your 3 year old but maybe a cheap learning pre-k book, like on colors or shapes or something, honestly you can get them at the dollar store. The cost of homeschooling it all depends on the way you are doing it. I've seen it go up to like $900 for a full curriculum. What I did with my dd is go and pick up specific books for the subjects she is required to take. Just keep in mind one thing, you aren't going to have to just sit down and keep the other children occupied for 5 hours a day. You can break it up here and there. I remember when my kids were 3 they took about a two hour nap during the day, you can have some time then. Or during like favorite programs, you know what I mean? Also you would want to get involved in social groups around your area. Well, good luck on your plan.

jackies_jewels
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I am in the same boat as you, LOL my son is starting Kindergarten this Fall as well. I taught him everything he needed to know for Preschool, but dealing with the state and all that is going to be new to me. :) Nice to meetcha, I'm Jackie! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)