Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

McRuffy Phonics

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with the Mcruffy Phonics program for kindergartner? Did you like it? Not like it? I have narrowed down to this program and the Horizons math program for my son this coming year and have read many reviews but haven't gotten to "talk" to anyone who actually has used it.  I am wanting a secular program and this is the one I have found with the best reviews and seems to have what I want.  TIA

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ballerina.2006
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I use McRuffy for LA and science. I LOVE it! I'm not sure exactly what you are looking at vs what I have. Dd reads one "book" a week. The lessons are short and to the point. Handwritting is incorperated. The lessons are easy to get thru on a whim and they are easy to double up on if you need to. The readers are printed at the bottom of the lesson in the teacher manual so you can follow along without "hovering" (so nice, imo!) The workbook is also a great addition. It goes from coloring to writing to cut/paste etc so it is wide variety to keep the kiddos interested!

I'm going through currc today so I'll try an get some pictures for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Channell07
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Oh thanks!! Awesome!!! I was hoping to actually hear from someone personally who had used their programs!!! I am pretty sure that I am ordering it next month =)

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I'm doing starfall.com with my kindergartener about to be first grader. I am also starting it with my 4 yr old. I can't recommend it because I don't know enough yet about it. You might trail it tho and see if you like it. IT also has math as well.

Channell07
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I have used some of the starfall stuff but haven't delved deep into it yet.. I need to look at it closer

ammv15
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I used Mcruffy phonics k this year. It is a good program that meet my state's standards.Each week you introduce a new blend, a new reader and 5 spelling words. Each day you read half of the reader, write one sentence, review speling words and do one worksheet. Then give a assesment test weekly. My kids never missed more than 2 on the weekly test.  We spent about 30 min.-40 min. daily on Mcruffy phonics.Though it does meet states standards it is not as advanced as some other programs that I've seen. It does not teach parts of speech at this level and punctuation is introduced but, not expected to be mastered. It is an easy effective program. As for those other programs that are teaching grammar and punctuation on this level. I'm not sure my kids would have done so well with those. Mcruffy is a good program that understands so well how children learn. It is a good,  yet gentle program. I encourage you to look into Mcruffy math. I love it and can't say enough about it. One of my children couldn't count to ten when we started, and now is just thriving with it. Horizons math is good but I picked Mcruffy instead and am very happy with results.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)