Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Co-op Programs?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

A friend of mine, who has taught her kids in a classroom setting for their whole lives (She's a teacher and taught them at a private school) has decided that this year she is going to HS her kids and start a co-op program. I haven't really asked her for all the info on it yet, since I would like opinions from other unbiased moms who don't know her, LOL 

So my question is, have you ever done a co-op program? Would you recommend or avoid it? And what exactly is usually done in a co-op setting?

Thanks in advance! 

Want a great blog layout and don't want to pay an arm and a leg? You can hire me to do a personalized layout with or without a pinup tube. PM me for details! http://jackiesjewelsntags.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jackies_jewels
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Anyone? LOL 

oredeb
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

wow thats weird cuz i answered this already!!

oredeb
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

i found it!! i answered it on your other post!! here it is!!!

co ops can be great!! i teach in one, we have rules to follow, and it cost money.

ive had all good experences at the coops, ive taught at, moms who really cared about each other and the kids, no dramas, if something comes up we talk about. the kids have fun , they look forward to being with other kids, most of the kids are well mannered, some arent but hey, i like dealing with them. anything comes up with bullying, the dads take care of it. the dads are involved with the coop also, not everything is on the moms.

bowiegirl
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I love our co-op. We are with the national co-op 'First Class Homeschool Ministries'. It is a faith based co-op so idk if thats what you guys are thinking of or not. The kids love seeing their friends & I love the time with other like minds. The classes change every semester so there is a good mix of educational & craft type classes. Our co-op meets once a week for 10 weeks in the spring & fall from about 9-12p. I will also add that we are excited when it starts & excited when it ends. Ive learned that often times as hs'ers our love of 'routine' is often minimal, ;)  HTH.

soy_latte
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:02 AM
There isn't a secular co-op close to us or I might, preferrably a democratic one where we could take just the classes we chose.

We are part of a group with an open calendar instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting bowiegirl:

I love our co-op. We are with the national co-op 'First Class Homeschool Ministries'. It is a faith based co-op so idk if thats what you guys are thinking of or not. The kids love seeing their friends & I love the time with other like minds. The classes change every semester so there is a good mix of educational & craft type classes. Our co-op meets once a week for 10 weeks in the spring & fall from about 9-12p. I will also add that we are excited when it starts & excited when it ends. Ive learned that often times as hs'ers our love of 'routine' is often minimal, ;)  HTH.

We participate in a First Class co-op too!! So cool to find another member on here : )

This co-op is under a national umbrella,  so there are specific guidlines to follow. This is helpful in keeping things structured enough to prevent discord, and still loose enough to draw in many different kinds of families. We love it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM
We LOVE CO-OP!! We do a local one that has 12 week sessions meeting once/week. The kids have made real connections with other kids. I have friendships with other moms. And not all the weight for learning is on my shoulders. They have been able to do theatre classes, arts (which I stink at), writing classes, not to mention the regular courses.

Having a teacher in charge might be interesting - either really success, or total nightmare...lol. If you have specific things you'd like in a co-op, then I'd offer to assist in the organization.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yes, co-ops are great once you find the right fit for you and your child.  Sometimes one has to try a few before finding just the right one.

I like the small ones (8 families or less), where mothers take turns teaching weekly lessons to the whole group (younger and older children together), and mothers monthly  night out. . I like belonging to a larger group for field trips. play days, and ceremonies (holidays and graduation).

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

We belong to two weekly co-ops.  My sons actually miss them in the summer.  We belong to a free one and one that I pay for.  I love them both.  Next year my oldest will be taking computer programming, and my youngest will be taking chess.  They are both very excited and can not wait.  Co-ops are all about finding one that fits your needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)