Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculums....Are they necessary?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 44 Replies

Are curriculums a necessity for you  and why?  What makes having a curriculum better or easier for your homeschooling experience?   

I would have loved having a curriculum when first starting out homeschooling but couldn't really afford one, so made do with ones I made up for each child.   Now that I have been schooling for some years now without one, I am not sure I could handle having to use one now.  

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackies_jewels
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I have to have one only because I personally feel unorganized if I don't, LOL I'm a compulsive organizer and list maker, so that's probably why. I think also since this is our first year doing this, that I feel a little more at ease with a curriculum. :) 

mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I feel more organized and as though I am less likely to "forget" to teach something by using a curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

ive never used a full one before, there was only a couple (abeka and bju) when i started homeschooling and they were expensive! so i couldnt afford any. I had to make up my own, got use to doing that every year, collecting bits and pieces every year, so doubt that i would buy one, well i know i wouldnt now days!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I felt the same way at first.  Now that I have had some feed back over the years, I am more sure of what I teach the kids.  However, I am always looking to learn more, especially in math and science.  :)

Quoting jackies_jewels:

I have to have one only because I personally feel unorganized if I don't, LOL I'm a compulsive organizer and list maker, so that's probably why. I think also since this is our first year doing this, that I feel a little more at ease with a curriculum. :) 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

i used to think that I was always leaving something out in our teachings.  :)   Feeling that way always made me double up my efforts though and now with my oldest graduating, I will feel less skeptical teaching without using any curriculums.   :)  

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I feel more organized and as though I am less likely to "forget" to teach something by using a curriculum.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quoting oredeb:

ive never used a full one before, there was only a couple (abeka and bju) when i started homeschooling and they were expensive! so i couldnt afford any. I had to make up my own, got use to doing that every year, collecting bits and pieces every year, so doubt that i would buy one, well i know i wouldnt now days!

Do you repeat the next year what you have gathered or do you find new stuff?

oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

i use the same math and lang arts, but the unit studies are all new stuff, depending on what the kids want to learn about

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

Do you repeat the next year what you have gathered or do you find new stuff?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

@ debs

May I ask what you use for your math and lang. arts? 

oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

yes you may sonja!hahahaha

ive used rod and staff for years and saxon math for years, why change a good thing!hahaha

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I don't have one really.... I mean they do some lessons on ABCmouse.com, brainpopjr.com, a-z reading, and starfall.com; but it's at their leasure. Right now I print out stuff or buy work books of stuff that I think they should know. I do try to think about what an average kid would learn in PS but I also keep in mind that my kids are HS because I want them to learn at their own pace and focus on their interests. I might get a curriculum in a year or so tho. I am just not too sure yet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)