Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculums....Are they necessary?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are curriculums a necessity for you  and why?  What makes having a curriculum better or easier for your homeschooling experience?   

I would have loved having a curriculum when first starting out homeschooling but couldn't really afford one, so made do with ones I made up for each child.   Now that I have been schooling for some years now without one, I am not sure I could handle having to use one now.  

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Replies (41-44):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I kind of just pick books related to the topics, and go from there. So lots of library books, maybe videos, experiments, projects, art that goes along with it, use the topic as part of her writing, etc.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you make your own curriculum?

Quoting Boobah:

We don't do the boxed sets, but I use a math and spelling curric. Still debating on if we will use one for science.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Sounds like what I do.  Just wondering, do you have yours draw any pictures relating to the subject at hand?

Quoting Boobah:

I kind of just pick books related to the topics, and go from there. So lots of library books, maybe videos, experiments, projects, art that goes along with it, use the topic as part of her writing, etc.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Boobah:

We don't do the boxed sets, but I use a math and spelling curric. Still debating on if we will use one for science.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
We do! Or coloring pages, art projects, stories, etc. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Sounds like what I do.  Just wondering, do you have yours draw any pictures relating to the subject at hand?

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I don't think they are necessary but they can be helpful.  I do use them as a guide but I am very ecelctic with my use of them.  I pick various parts and don't usually follow them that closely.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)