Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How harshly should the girls be punished? Does this shock you?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:53 AM
  • 6 Replies

Teenage Girls Accused of 'Pimping' Other Young Girls Into Prostitution

Posted by Janelle Harris on June 13, 2012 

Human trafficking

There are some things you expect from 15-year-old girls. Lots of pointless phone conversations and rapid-fire texting. Maybe a bad test grade or report card here and there. Falling outs with friends, overdramatized crushes on boys, and an exorbitant amount of time spent in the shower, the mirror, and the mall. But here’s a new twist to the things-a-teenage-girl-might-do repertoire: human trafficking

Two 15-year-old Canadian gals -- and a 17-year-old who’s since gone on the lam -- are facing multiple charges after police say they forced other underage girls into prostitution. Using (surprise, surprise) social media, they corralled three victims between the ages of 13 and 17 to a home in Ottawa. The abductees were allegedly driven to various parts of the city, pimped into prostitution, and forced to perform sex acts on men. Wow. Talk about innocence lost and, apparently, stolen.

It’s 10:30. Do you know where your teenager is? 

To make matters worse, police say there’s no evidence that the girls acted on behalf of a manipulative adult like a pimp, a wayward parent, or even a nasty older sibling. They may have, however, been products of the human trafficking system themselves at some point and decided to balk against the prostituting and stand up on the money-making end of the deal instead. It’s the classic cycle of victimization when the underdog becomes the aggressor and repeats the very pattern they suffered.

That’s all speculation, though. They could just be girls with a premature, early developed penchant for taking advantage of unsuspecting peers, like A Clockwork Orange type of affair. And that’s even more frightening than the standard issue male perverts and pedophiles lurking about to rob them of their virtue. Who sees a teenage girl as a potential threat to the sexual sanctity of another teenage girl?

We’re always hollering about keeping our kids safe on social media, but I’m pretty sure most of us wouldn’t see this kind of rancidness coming on Facebook or Twitter because, again, it’s cloaked in the innocence of an average teenage girl hangout. Incidentally, human trafficking as a whole is on the rise in the U.S. So the girls’ involvement is just another aspect to a socially crippling sign of the times.

How harshly should the girls be punished?

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
That is so sad. But I firmly believe jail time is in order, as well as lots of counseling for all involved.
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I agree with Shannon.  It is sad but I also believe that they should go to jail and get counseling.

Does this shock me?  Well, a little bit.  But this is what happens when so many teens are just left to fend for themselves.  There are so many parents who don't want to parent anymore.  They believe that teens should have "their privacy".  I have teenage boys that are 14.  They have earned certain privelages.  They have Facebook, but they also know that at any time, their Dad or I, could go in under their account.  That was the agreement when they set up the account.  Now, I know that many kids don't go to their parents and tell them that even have an account.  But that is when parents should be checking on their kids while they are in their rooms alone, especialy if they have a computer in their room.

This is also a product of a sexualized world.  No matter where you turn, the world tries to put a sexual meaning to everything.  Even TV commercials have gotten to the point that they make something have a sexual meaning. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow, that's just sad. What's  sad is, I don't think they did it for the money, they did it for the power. Girl Gangs and whatnot are really starting to bloom and honestly, there is nothing more vicious than a teen girl.

Danielle163
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

NOTHING shocks me anymore.................with that being said, this sounds like mean girls gone even meaner and lower. Yes, I do believe this is just another very negative effect of the over-sexualization of young females. It is like they think they have no self-worth unless they have male attention of some/any kind.

How harshly should they be punished? I say really slap it to them. They need to serve jail time, have to pay fines, and one stipulation of their punishment would be that they would have to go get a job,since they are so greedy and want to have money from someone else's misery. These chicks obviously had way too much time on their hands, were not using their time productively/wisely, and from the sounds of it, need some moral counseling.    

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Oh wow. This makes me so sad.
Semi related, my cousin said he saw two 13-15 year olds sitting in front of a playground with a sign that said "honk if you're horny". Where are their parents?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Wow! These girls are the resulting product of our *great* system this world holds so dear.  Also, in Canada, when children are born, they automatically become wards of the state.  At least back when I was a young adult and lived there for awhile. 

As for the punishment, you betchya there should be some and not some slap on the wrist and hope they never do this again type either.  These girls should face jail time and be counseled for the next several years as well as do community service for same amount of counseling time they would need to go through.  This is just a sad day when parents aren't there to reign their children back in after becoming out of hand. 

In answer to the question of...Do you know where your teenager is? 

Why yes I do! At all times. If they don't check in every hour on the hour, whether in person or by text/call, then they are brought home and grounded for however length of time dad and I decide.  Period. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN