Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's been FOREVER since I've heard anything so ignorant!-UPDATED:)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 54 Replies

Hey ladies:) New here:)

I was curious about something. I have been outside of the "homeschool community" for awhile now, although we still homeschool. My 4 kids are in grades 6-12, and have always been homeschooled, even when I became a single, working mom. We moved to a place where school options vary and are considered normal, and I rarely get questioned about homeschooling-unlike when my kids were small. I had forgotten all of the ignorant, dumb, harsh things people used to say to homeschoolers! Have you come across that, or has "time" changed peoples attitudes and knowledge of what you do?

I was at my youngest's baseball game last night and a 13 year old girl asked me about homeschooling-she thought it was awesome. Other people got involved in the conversation and it was all positive. Then one mom looked at me, pushed her 200$ sunglasses up on her head, and proclaimed, "I could never homeschool. I could never just sit in my house all day, every day, and not have a life."

I said nothing. I actually think I felt my brain spin around because I just haven't heard anything SO STUPID in such a LONG time...I mean, this woman has known me for months, constantly remarks at how crazy my schedule is and all the running I do, all the things I/we are involved in and do. The idea that this person referred to me as "not having a life" for the last 17 years just blew me away.

Of course...maybe I am just out of tune with 50 year old moms with "lives":/ Maybe I need to wear strapless dresses, 6 inch heels, and full make up, to my 11 year old's game...and drive a sports car that doesn't have enough seats for my kids to understand that. Sorry, that was mean:P And, funny thing is, I didn't see "her" that way until she said what she said...

Do people still make those comments that make NO obvious sense??? I was hoping we were over that....

So great to hear from all of you:) You all sound like intelligent people with great ideas and definite passion for their children:) I'm happy to be here:)

Updated-not important, I just had to take note and pass it on;) We had our closing ceremonies today, as well as our team party. I got to see everyone again;) The "mom of subject", did not show up for the trophy ceremony, and her kid was pickd in 2 different awards, including All Stars. Parents were notified ahead of time if their child wins:) Anyway,  I guess her "life" got in the way, because they were no shows. No biggie...Then they show up at the party-at a restaurant-and she comes in wearing daisy dukes, a tank with no bra, heels, and her eyes were made up like a Twilight cast member. She spoke to no one, bought 2 buffets for 4 people, sat in a booth against the wall, and played with her phone...The kids asked the son why he wasn't at trophies, and he said his mom had a nail appt...Her child, mind you, is a spectactular kid-simply awesome!

But yeah...guess we homeschooling moms need to get a "life"....what does that even mean;) lol:)

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

We never see any other homeschoolers here, it is like they are in hiding--LOL

I would avoid her like the PLAGUE................LOL

cthemoon
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM
It was our last game:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHome
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I make no reservations about homeschooling. We are open about it completely. We also live in a "yuppie" area, and get LOTS of comments and looks about our choice. I had one mom tell me that my child will be awkward and will likely lack basic knowledge that would otherwise be learned in school.

The funny thing is....at the time, we were at the pool, and my sons were the ONLY kids sharing and behaving nicely. I just calmly said, "Well, seeing as how my kids are the only ones demonstrating any kind of manners today, I'll take that as a good behavioral indicator. As far as academic concerns: knowledge without application is useless, and at least I know my kids are applying what they have learned."

She had nothing else to say.

cthemoon
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. You know what, I am 46, and I look much younger-family genes:)When I mention that my kids are homeschooled to people who have never MET my kids, they usually tell me how my kids will grow up unsocialized (that is my all time FAVORITE!) and socially awkward. They assume, I am guessing, that my kids are much smaller. Then they meet my kids. They quickly realize, with the pink hair, the cell phones, the ripped up jeans and the totally "involved with the world around me" personalities of my pre-teen and teens, that they are incredibly misinformed.

And I won't even go into what I see go on with my friends who have kids in school...that is an endless conversation.

:)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

We live in a very rural area, but homeschoolling has caught on here like a wild fire!!  That said, there are a few teachers at my church that have said some truly ignorant anf hateful things.  The last time anything was said, our pastor's wife turned to her and said that she was sorry the the school's scores have gone down this year, but it's no reason to take it out on the families that "place the apropriate amount of emphasis on their children."  That was months ago, and she has said nothing since.

lucsch
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked outside the home for 17 years while my kids were little. I've been at home for 10 years and homeschooling for half of that. Let me tell you, it  is YOU that have been living a LIFE, not that woman. I think she was probably just shocked at the concept and those words popped out of her mouth. Don't take it as a personal assault. She probably left the game questioning everything she had ever done in her life. LOL

oredeb
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahahha ive never had anything negative said to my face about homeschooling my kids,

wow what was she thinking? wonder what she thinks you do all day?hahahaha so funny

and welcome to our group cthemoon

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Most people that are unhappy with their lives will attack people that do things that make them question how they do things!

cthemoon
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for all of your replies...I've been on CM for a little bit, on and off, and this seems like a "safe" group, LOL:) Glad to be here:)

The worst I ever heard was when my kids were small...I had a woman, with her gaggle of friends (moms, all in PJ bottoms and baseball hats, go figure) asked me what we were doing at the park. We were there with our homeschool group-I had founded it a year earlier. They came over to ask "who" we were, mostly because there was maybe 20 moms, most with 3-5 kids, circling me. (do the math, pretty nutty scene:)) When we told them "who" we were, and how we had 20+activities a month, etc, she wrinkled up her nose, shook her head and said "Are you all crazy? I would NEVER let my husband think I could do all of those things-he'd expect me to! Besides, I am COUNTING the days until my kids go TO SCHOOL because I cannot STAND being around them all day!" They marched away....

Mind you, her two daughters, maybe 3 and 5, were standing right there when she said what she said..I felt SO horrible for them.

But we are all "crazy".

Saraho5
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Some people may just be jealous that you juggle all that so well!

I don't think any of us will look back and regret the amount of time and attention we gave our kids! But, sometimes I wonder if they'll look back and regret not enjoying their children more, KWIM?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)