Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Could you ladies help settle an argument?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 37 Replies

My 5 yo colored a picture yesterday.  It was a horse in a meadow.  He colored the clouds red and the sky purple.  The leaves on the trees in the background were orange, red, brown and yellow.  The horse was brown.  The grass was green.  I tolr him it was lovely and asked him to tell me about it.  He said that there was no sun in the sky, so he thought it must be going down and that turns the clouds red.  He said that the horse looked fat the way they get in the fall, so he made the leaves all colorful like then.  And he said the horse was Ginger (a friend's horse).

I said he made a beautiful picture and that he had done exactly what I had asked for.  I had asked him to make the whole paper colored, every spot.  And not one centimeter was left white, so i was happy with it.

Okay so here's the argument.  Hubby says that the teachers at the brick anf mortar school would have told him it was wrong to color the sky that way and that I'm doing him a disservice by "allowing him to get away with coloring things any way he wants to."

I disagree.  i think it was not only well thought out and very creative, but followed the directions I gave him.

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm with you. He's 5. He followed the directions and used his imagination. You didn't ask him to draw what he sees outside so I see nothing wrong with it.

A B&M school may or may not have told him it was wrong depending on the assigment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

yea!!! very creative!!!! 

thats a reason not to send kids to ps, you gotta follow what the teacher says or get it wrong! to many kids in class to be creative, 

your son  did a good job!! and so did you!

Strega
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I agree with you. His imagination and creativity should be encouraged, not stifled.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tal0n
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM
5 moms liked this
Your husband is making himself sound like a moron. Advise him to keep his mouth shut so as to not remove all doubt.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I feel a lot better now.  Thank you all!  This is the first time he has ever disagreed with me, and of course we all doubt every once in a while.  When the oldest was in ps kindergarten, hubby was constantly criticising the way the teacher taught coloring, and i could have sworn he was upset about the stifling of creativity.  I wonder what got into him?

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son is going to have an imagination & be creative all his life if you encourage this! Your husband sounds like he is still very much school minded & needs to deschool!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree w/ you. It was amazingly thought out, down to the season and time of day. Plus I'd probably throw in. A lesson on how everything contains every color, except white. We only dee the wave lengths that rebound, but the sun is throwing out every color of the rainbow...so technically you can have blue grass and a purple sky and NOT be wrong.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Your son is going to have an imagination & be creative all his life if you encourage this! Your husband sounds like he is still very much school minded & needs to deschool!

It came as such a surprise that he said that!  He's usually more "unschool" than I am.  (I was a ps teacher for 5 years) He was even against making a classroom so that learning could take place in the kitchen "where we live."  It really blindsided me!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree w/ you. It was amazingly thought out, down to the season and time of day. Plus I'd probably throw in. A lesson on how everything contains every color, except white. We only dee the wave lengths that rebound, but the sun is throwing out every color of the rainbow...so technically you can have blue grass and a purple sky and NOT be wrong.

Great ideas!  We've been talking about rainbows and put a prism up in their window, so that's a great tie in!  Thanks!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say you have a a very creative minded young man on your hands.  Have your husband ask your son about why he colored his picture the way he did and watch your husband's reactions. I'll bet they will be different when he hears his son's answers.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)