Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Could you ladies help settle an argument?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 yo colored a picture yesterday.  It was a horse in a meadow.  He colored the clouds red and the sky purple.  The leaves on the trees in the background were orange, red, brown and yellow.  The horse was brown.  The grass was green.  I tolr him it was lovely and asked him to tell me about it.  He said that there was no sun in the sky, so he thought it must be going down and that turns the clouds red.  He said that the horse looked fat the way they get in the fall, so he made the leaves all colorful like then.  And he said the horse was Ginger (a friend's horse).

I said he made a beautiful picture and that he had done exactly what I had asked for.  I had asked him to make the whole paper colored, every spot.  And not one centimeter was left white, so i was happy with it.

Okay so here's the argument.  Hubby says that the teachers at the brick anf mortar school would have told him it was wrong to color the sky that way and that I'm doing him a disservice by "allowing him to get away with coloring things any way he wants to."

I disagree.  i think it was not only well thought out and very creative, but followed the directions I gave him.

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (31-37):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM
This! It was HIS vision!

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I'm with you. He's 5. He followed the directions and used his imagination. You didn't ask him to draw what he sees outside so I see nothing wrong with it.

A B&M school may or may not have told him it was wrong depending on the assigment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyluke2007
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I agree.

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I'm with you. He's 5. He followed the directions and used his imagination. You didn't ask him to draw what he sees outside so I see nothing wrong with it.

A B&M school may or may not have told him it was wrong depending on the assigment.

Lovin' Wife of John & Proud Momma to Ashley-24 (Lovin' Wife to Pat & Momma to Liam), Matt-22,Tim-21,Tasha-19, Becky-17, Davy-15, Tommy-9 & Elijah-3yrs. & Gramma of Sarah-5, Liam-2yrs. & Nathias 3/22/12.

lucsch
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Who cares what a school teacher would think?

I think he shows advanced analytical skills and creativity, which your dh must lack. LOL

ablessedlife
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
That is EXACTLY how teachers have extinguished creativity and confidence in children! Good thing is that even in brick and mortar schools, teachers are realizing this and trying to change it.
victorianmom55
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I taught kindergarten (very small Christian), the girls colored every thing rainbow colors (there were three,two 5year olds and one 4year old) till the last two weeks of school, then the five year olds, started to color things the colors they felt were correct...no more rainbows :( .

When it was an activity that they had to follow more structured directions, they did, except one who felt rainbows were always important(the 4 year old).

I am glad that you allowed him to use his imagination, and as one poster stated if this was a more structured assignment that would be different.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone!  Levi told daddy all about his picture, and daddy agrees now that he had thought it all out. 

I also founs out that his Mom was a colorring nazi (for lack of a better word) and tha dh adamantly refused to color after he turned 4.  Now it all makes more sense.  His Aunt told me all about it.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that he had a great reason for coloring the clouds that color.  As long as he followed the directions you gave, that is great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN