Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarden- NY?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi! I'm new and considering homeschooling but I'm finding it hard figuring out where I start. My dd is 4, will be 5 in July, and starting K this year. We have been back and forth on homeschooling but the closer it comes the more unhappy I become with our current district. Now my biggest problem has been finding the IHIP info for grade K. On the NY education website all the forms and info is for grades 1 and up. Has anyone done K at home in NY? If so what curriculum did you use? I will be speaking to the superintendent soon but I don't want to meet with him and seem completely ignorant, there just seems to be absolutely no info I can find on this grade.

Thanks for any input.

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

You do not have to send in an IHIP for a 5 year old Kindergartener.  Compulsory schooling (and district correspondence) does not begin until September of the year your child turns 6.  

You also don't need to worry about a curriculum or do any major formal schooling.  She's 5.  Have fun and keep the structured lessons minimal.  

Why would you be speaking with the superintendent?  There's no need and it's better if you don't.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You do not have to send in an IHIP for a 5 year old Kindergartener.  Compulsory schooling (and district correspondence) does not begin until September of the year your child turns 6.  

You also don't need to worry about a curriculum or do any major formal schooling.  She's 5.  Have fun and keep the structured lessons minimal.  

Why would you be speaking with the superintendent?  There's no need and it's better if you don't.

Took the words outta my..er...fingers!

You can read the NY HS laws here. http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blNY.htm#.T9sv8mt5mSM

I always recommend holding off on purchasing any curriculum until closer to 2nd grade, if only because a child's learning style is fluid, and tends to change, until then. You should check out www.letteroftheweek.com and www.starfall.com. If you want something interactive, check out www.time4learning.com we loved them until 3rd grade.

But, as NYmom said, have fun. Let her explore, listen to the questions she asks and build units off of those.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

BUMP!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I agree! Things get iffy if you invite superintendents into the picture. They almost never support HS and often spend time trying to discourage or discredit the potential HS parent.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)