Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long to teach during a day?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

So we already started HS, but we have only started with Math for now. We are still in the process of ordering the rest of our curriculum. This is our first year hs our kids, so I am nervous and have tons of doubt.

How long should I work with them everyday? How many subjects should I teach during a day. I am pretty sure we wont be doing science everyday. But is once a week to little? I am just not sure. 

Let me add that the kids I am teaching ( we have 4, but the younger two are only 18 months, and 3) are 10, and 8 1/2.

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

i teach 5 kids 11-14 and it takes us about 4 hours at the most each day

for you all maybe a couple hours a day to complete everything for your 2 kids, of course there will be interruptions! (2 little one) so maybe 3!hahahaha but thats ok, include the younger ones when you can.

i teach math, language arts, unit studies(which includes all science, history, writing spelling vocab arts and crafts, reading music) each day

doing science once a week is good!

for math we do it for about 45 min. and lang arts any where from 30 to 45 min each day

omiestutz29
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Thanks! Yeah I really feel that if there are any subjects that we will work on everyday they will be math, and L.A.

And trust me it will be more crazy come September when our 5th baby is due. lol Sometimes I feel I am crazy for starting hs now when we have a new one on the way. Oh well with God all things are possible.

Quoting oredeb:

for you all maybe a couple hours a day to complete everything for your 2 kids, of course there will be interruptions! (2 little one) so maybe 3!hahahaha but thats ok, include the younger ones when you can.

i teach math, language arts, unit studies(which includes all science, history, writing spelling vocab arts and crafts, reading music) each day

for math we do it for about 45 min. and lang arts any where from 30 to 45 min each day

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM
We don't do a lot of sittdown work. My boys are 8&11, and they are visual learners. You can read more on our learning style http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

oredeb
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

congratulations on the baby!!! exciting! you do have the kids to help you, thats good

Quoting omiestutz29:

Thanks! Yeah I really feel that if there are any subjects that we will work on everyday they will be math, and L.A.

And trust me it will be more crazy come September when our 5th baby is due. lol Sometimes I feel I am crazy for starting hs now when we have a new one on the way. Oh well with God all things are possible.

Quoting oredeb:

Aleshad01
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM

We are new to homeschooling as well.  We have started a little but won't really start till August.  Right now I plan on 4-5 hours a day for my 3rd grader.  My son will be in Kindergarten so it will be less with him since he is mostly doing math, reading, and writing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I would do anywhere from 2 to 4 hours a day depending on what you wabt to teach and how many intteruptions you will get. :)   I have a 3 yr old who thinks she just HAS to be the center of all her siblings.  So when they school, they school with her sitting in their laps and teach her in between times.  lol  

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

We do anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours a day, 4 days a week.  Ds is 11.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM
It takes us 1.5-3 hours for first grade, I'm assuming the same for second in the fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hermosa3
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I am going to be hs my girl and she is in first grade. Can anyone give me some web sites for free curriculum and what should I b teaching her? Thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN