Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Couple of Questions- Kinder

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
  • 3 Replies

Ok.. First- I had decided on McRuffy phonics for my DS for Kinder this coming year but am now wondering if it is going to be the best fit based on another thread I read on another site.  He already easily knows all of his letters and letter sounds and is sounding out CVC words easily.  I don't want him getting disinterested and not wanting to do it.  I also want something that I can buy the consumables for and reuse with my daughter next year (she's 16mo younger) but she also already knows all letters and 90% of her sounds (she's almost 3).  Any thoughts on a curriculum I should consider.  I am looking for something secular but if you know of a lightly religion based program that you think is amazing feel free to mention it for me to look at!!!

Second- ABC mouse vs. Reading eggs.  I am looking to subscribe to one of these for each child this year so that they can have something to do if I need to work individually with one or something.  Let me know if you have opinions of either, please? TIA

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I am a tutor, and like computer games to teach, but not to teach phonic sounds. I  am given the children who are having trouble with their reading.  Nine times out of ten it is because they are pronouncing the letter sounds incorrectly.. Computer games teach many of the phonic sounds incorrectly causing the children to have trouble blending them to form words. The letters most commonly mispronounced are: M, T, D, G, H, C, J, W, K, and P   .it does not effect all children,  but  does many. I know because I have to clean up the problems.  This video explains

If your child is not currently bored with the method you are using, don't worry about changing.  However if you are needing something more engaging, I recommend Ring Around The Phonics.  It has everything you need to teach reading and phonics, and can be used to teach other subjects as well. Some people use it as a supplement, but it is all I use to teach reading (comes with 14 early reader books). 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I'm afraid I haven't used any of those things. In kinder we used a combination of:

www.time4learning.com
www.starfall.com
www.miamiopia.com
www.brainpop.com (the free parts only)
www.theheadoftheclass.com.

And the kids loved playing educational games at www.pbskids.org.

I'm super frugal, by necessity so I can't bring myself to pay a lot of money for access to a website.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Channell07
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Thanks for the website recommendations.  I looked at starfall but wasn't super impressed with what I saw.  MAybe I am not looking in the right place as I know it comes highly recommended...

As far as phonics sounds, luckily I know I am teaching phonics sounds correctly.  I have my undergrad in education and am working on my masters in reading education.  I SHOULD actually make my own curriculum but for the first year (while I finish my masters) I wanted to go with a pre packaged program. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN