Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you all organize your time?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

Good evening everybody, today was my kids' last day of school. My ds goes to a special school so he will be going back, June 25, 2012. They do that in his type of school, they only get a week break during the summer. I want to start actually homeschooling when he goes back to school. I know I told the superintendent I would do it August 29, in the letter of intent, but it's better to be early than late. Now the problem I have is, how do you manage to do everything and still have time for yourself. My kids help out with chores, but I still have to do some things when they go to bed. Now the thing is in Central Falls, Rhode Island you have to do at least 5 hours 5 days of the week. Which is fine I know I can break it up based on schedules. But personally I like schedules, I don't want to push schedule on my dd. My dd is she's more laid back, you can't give her too much to do, she will get frustrated. Like I have a routine for both my children, I have a timed schedule for them. If I get too bothersome with dd than she gets frustrated. But left alone, no nagging, everything gets done when it needs to get done. And she's always ready for school on time. So if you can please let me know how you have time to homeschool, cook, clean and bond with your other children, it would be a big help. Oh and I should make sure to mention I am a single Mother so I have to do everything, have a good day.

Nadine

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AnakaAlisyn
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My daughter does better when I'm not standing over her.  When I'm watching her, she pretends she doesn't know how to do something and tries to get as much help out of me as possible.  When I'm not looking, she does her best work.  After breakfast I usually set her up with some kind of activity and while she workd independently, I do the dishes and clean the kitchen.  I go back and forth to check her work as needed.  Then we usually play together for a while (we use play as a way of teaching) then have lunch and it is a similar thing.  I set her up with something and she does it while I get some house work done.  After that she usually has some kind of class in town like ballet or swimming.  When we get home I set her up with something while I cook dinner, then because she is such a slow eater, when I'm done eating I read out loud to her from a chapter book that doesn't have pictures (less disctracting).  That's pretty much our day. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Remember any sports they do counts for PE and add that time.

There are lots of educational minutes in each day. Watching the news and discussing current events is social studies. Free reading time is language arts. Helping measure in a recipe is math.

I have three kids and they all work differently. They each get an assignment sheet for the week that has them doing each subject each day. However, I don't care if they do ALL math on Monday or break it up as long as everything is complete by 2pm Friday.

DD NEEDS to do each assignment each day. If I don't review it and keep tabs she will try and hide work. Whereas, DS1 I could not check for 2 weeks and it would all be done. DS2 is somewhere in between where I talk to/remind him of things a couple times during the week or he slacks off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM
You can read about exactly what our school is like here - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

but I HS my 2 boys, one of whose is special needs. A lot depends on the type of learners your kids are. But it sounds like your daughter will be very easy. And HS only takes a couple of hours per day. Once the kids are in bed, I sit outside and read for an hour or so. It keeps me sane. But, since HS only takes a couple of hours, there's pretty do time for everything else.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AnakaAlisyn:

My daughter does better when I'm not standing over her.  When I'm watching her, she pretends she doesn't know how to do something and tries to get as much help out of me as possible.  When I'm not looking, she does her best work.  After breakfast I usually set her up with some kind of activity and while she workd independently, I do the dishes and clean the kitchen.  I go back and forth to check her work as needed.  Then we usually play together for a while (we use play as a way of teaching) then have lunch and it is a similar thing.  I set her up with something and she does it while I get some house work done.  After that she usually has some kind of class in town like ballet or swimming.  When we get home I set her up with something while I cook dinner, then because she is such a slow eater, when I'm done eating I read out loud to her from a chapter book that doesn't have pictures (less disctracting).  That's pretty much our day. 

Lol, my youngest is exactly the same! If he has an audience, then he pretends ignorance.

It sounds like your day is pretty amazing! Though my kids would be jealous. I don't do dishes....ever...I have an OCD-like aversion. But that's why I have kids! Lol. THey earn points by doing their chores which includes alternating who does dishes, changin over the laundry (sometimes helping w/ folding) and vacuuming. They use those points (we call them Behavior Bucks) to RENT the things they love - like their electronics- from us for 24 hours.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM
My time isn't organized at the moment, but I'm hoping to get better with that ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I am not that organized but I make every effort to be though.  I will say though that I do have a small system and that is what keeps me from going off into insane land.  lol  :)

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

how old is your daughter?

we only do schooling 3-4 hours a day, so theres plenty of time for everything else here,

Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hi, I like your idea, the only problem I have with that is where I live there are hourly obligations. I have to homeschool my dd for at least 5 hours per day 5 days a week. And with dd I have to stay right on top of her with assignments, with anything really. Like if I just trust her to do her room, and not check on it right then, she'll be sneaky and either not do it, or not doing her best with it. You know like hiding things wherever. I'm glad she likes Time4learning will let me know if she's being sneaky. Which she won't because she likes it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Remember any sports they do counts for PE and add that time.

There are lots of educational minutes in each day. Watching the news and discussing current events is social studies. Free reading time is language arts. Helping measure in a recipe is math.

I have three kids and they all work differently. They each get an assignment sheet for the week that has them doing each subject each day. However, I don't care if they do ALL math on Monday or break it up as long as everything is complete by 2pm Friday.

DD NEEDS to do each assignment each day. If I don't review it and keep tabs she will try and hide work. Whereas, DS1 I could not check for 2 weeks and it would all be done. DS2 is somewhere in between where I talk to/remind him of things a couple times during the week or he slacks off.

Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I'm the same way. Yesterday was dd last day of school, you should of seen all the worksheets she brought home, things to do plus past assignments she already did. I did my best organizing it. But it was hard going through all of that, trying to organize it, etc. But we are making progress I don't feel like going into insane land yet, but then again I didn't order the books yet. Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

I am not that organized but I make every effort to be though.  I will say though that I do have a small system and that is what keeps me from going off into insane land.  lol  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)