Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kid Games

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

What are some of the games you and your child(ren) play at home for school and for recreation?   Do you make them up or are they bough games?      Which type of game do you find to be better suited for your children and in general? 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victorianmom55
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

We played board games and made up games, of these made up games were the best, because it allowed them to use their imagination.

oredeb
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM
3 moms liked this

lets see, theres yatzee(sp) monopoly, boggle, scrabble, operation, chutes and ladders, bingo(madeup), concentration(made up), capture the flag, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, badmitten, tennis, thetherball, sorry, gee theres so many i cant remember the names of them

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM
We often make up games or bastardize regular games. For instance, one of our favorite foreign language practice games is Shannon Sayes. We also love to play monopoly, UNO, etc.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
For those new to the creative thought process of an HS mom, here are some resources for turning fun, regular games into a learning experience:

http://boardgames.about.com/od/cardgames/tp/best_childrens_card_games.htm
http://www.helpguide.org/life/creative_play_fun_games.htm
http://voices.yahoo.com/what-children-learn-playing-video-games-32582.html?cat=25

I also have a great article on the importance of Play while learning that I'll post for the group!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
We also love playing chess
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Well we play a lot of things. Most are made up on the spot. I have really young kids tho. They have a lot of creativity and a great imagination. 

Some bought games we play are: Pigs- pig "dice" rolling game. Chutes and Ladders, Dominos (not the traditional way), Hi Ho Cherry-O, Candy Land, Barrell of Monkies, and Match/Memory. I try to play a variety of games. My older son is really interest in computer games. So we do computer games like Math Blasters and all the other learning games. We sometimes play console games that Mario. I mean we do just about everything. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We play all kinds of games!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I love to watch my kids play just because of their awesome imaginations.  :)  They come up with the most interesting games. 

Quoting victorianmom55:

We played board games and made up games, of these made up games were the best, because it allowed them to use their imagination.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

lol And do you play of these great games?  :) 

Quoting oredeb:

lets see, theres yatzee(sp) monopoly, boggle, scrabble, operation, chutes and ladders, bingo(madeup), concentration(made up), capture the flag, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, badmitten, tennis, thetherball, sorry, gee theres so many i cant remember the names of them

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Is Shannon Sayes anything like Simon Says?  Sounds interesting.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We often make up games or bastardize regular games. For instance, one of our favorite foreign language practice games is Shannon Sayes. We also love to play monopoly, UNO, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN