Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are some of the games you and your child(ren) play at home for school and for recreation?   Do you make them up or are they bough games?      Which type of game do you find to be better suited for your children and in general? 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

For those new to the creative thought process of an HS mom, here are some resources for turning fun, regular games into a learning experience:

http://boardgames.about.com/od/cardgames/tp/best_childrens_card_games.htm
http://www.helpguide.org/life/creative_play_fun_games.htm
http://voices.yahoo.com/what-children-learn-playing-video-games-32582.html?cat=25

I also have a great article on the importance of Play while learning that I'll post for the group!

This link was great. Thanks for posting it. :) 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

Exactly, but since I'm Shannon and not Simon we use my name...lol...

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Board games, card games, iPad and computer games, made up games, physical games (tag, baseball, etc)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

We play all kinds of games!  Mancala, chess, checkers, quirkle, Skippity, monopoly Jr, Q-bitz, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Heroquest (they like to make up new quests), Clue, Risk, I Can Do That, Scattegories, Uno, Old Maid, 500 Rummy, Hearts, Crazy eights, Split, Phase 10, Hit the Deck, Uno Barn, Mad Gab, Dominoes,

Super Nintendo:  Lemmings, Mario world, and Zelda are faves

Wii: Lego Star Wars and Lego Harry Potter, That darn Scooby Doo game (really wish we hadn't bought that one!!) and I Spy Spooky Mansion

They also have a Leapster and love to play all those games too!

We also have fun playing jump rope games, and chinese jumprope games!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

May I ask what kind of made up games. Curiosity and all.  lol 

Quoting Boobah:

Board games, card games, iPad and computer games, made up games, physical games (tag, baseball, etc)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

You really play Mancala?  Which Zelda do you play? I have the original and just love it. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We play all kinds of games!  Mancala, chess, checkers, quirkle, Skippity, monopoly Jr, Q-bitz, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Heroquest (they like to make up new quests), Clue, Risk, I Can Do That, Scattegories, Uno, Old Maid, 500 Rummy, Hearts, Crazy eights, Split, Phase 10, Hit the Deck, Uno Barn, Mad Gab, Dominoes,

Wii: Lego Star Wars and Lego Harry Potter, That darn Scooby Doo game (really wish we hadn't bought that one!!) and I Spy Spooky Mansion

victorianmom55
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

When my girls were little, they made up so many games, many used what they learned which was rather interesting when they were learning about Midevil times.

Quoting kirbymom:

I love to watch my kids play just because of their awesome imaginations.  :)  They come up with the most interesting games. 

Quoting victorianmom55:

We played board games and made up games, of these made up games were the best, because it allowed them to use their imagination.

Shari, wife to John 4/88, mom to Heather 1/77,Nyssa 4/89, Michaela 8/94

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Whatever they make up. Lol! Pirates, spray tag, they take cards and make up new things with them like if your card has tigger on it you do x, if it has pooh on it, you do y. Twister hopscotch turns into color games, arm hula hoops. See who can run faster from here to there, touch the wall and hide under the desk. Nothing really, just wherever their imagination takes them.
Chelseys favorite thing to say all day long is "let's play a game!"

Quoting kirbymom:

May I ask what kind of made up games. Curiosity and all.  lol 

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

We love Mancala.  My MIL just bought my oldest the four player version and we can't wait for a rainy evening to try it out!  Yep, the original!  It's awesome!

Quoting kirbymom:

You really play Mancala?  Which Zelda do you play? I have the original and just love it. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

oh yes i play, now i have someone to play with! (im an only child who loved games!) some other ones we loved to play were chess, checkers, canasta, phase 9(anyone remeber that?) rummy, poker, black jack, fish, old maid, slap jack, reading everyones responses are helping me remember!

Quoting kirbymom:

lol And do you play of these great games?  :) 

Quoting oredeb:

lets see, theres yatzee(sp) monopoly, boggle, scrabble, operation, chutes and ladders, bingo(madeup), concentration(made up), capture the flag, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, badmitten, tennis, thetherball, sorry, gee theres so many i cant remember the names of them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN