Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach your kids language arts?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • 24 Replies

how do you teach lang. arts to the kids,?

what do you use?

at what age, grade level did you start?

is there anything special you do?

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm actually unsure what all language arts includes.

We use all about spelling for spelling
Handwriting without tears for handwriting
She reads on her own for reading, and also books pertaining to history or science. Narration is what we do for reading comprehension
We have a "comprehensive curriculum" workbook that keeps me on track as far as what she needs to know about nouns, verbs, etc. then I extend from there. (having her copy rules, tips, keys, etc)

Did I cover it all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, we started at birth really. Singing the alphabet, then showing letters, recognizing them, moving on to talking about what we read, then we started the formal stuff in first grade. I'm unsure exactly what they did in public k, but I dont recall her coming home with anything she didn't already know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting oredeb:

how do you teach lang. arts to the kids,?-----We do L.A. five days  a week. DD finds it very boring so I'm changing it up this year.

what do you use?---This will be our first year of using Michael Clay Thompson Lang. Arts. It encompasses grammar, writing, literature (from Royal Fireworks Press), poetry, and vocabulary. I'm coupling that with Sequential Spelling, Igniting Your Writing, Spectrum Writing workbook, and vocabulary workbook.

at what age, grade level did you start?--In a school setting, as soon as I removed DD from ps. (first grade)

is there anything special you do? --No, just keep working on it, consistent review.

ablessedlife
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM
K-1 I just do lots of reading (read alouds and silent reading). Our home is filled with children's books. For writing they do letters and notes to relatives and friends abroad. They also keep a science journal (I ask them what they learned today and I write on another piece of paper what they say. Then they copy it into their journals and draw a picture). they also write out their Bible memory verse for handwriting practice and sometime I will dictate a list of words to see how their spelling is. Sometimes I have them write in another little journal with sentance starters like,"When I am ten years old, I will...". These are great for keeping and reading when they get older!
For grade2 I started with Pathway Readers ( Reader and workbook) and Spelling Power. They continue to write out their memory verses and write science journals. In grade 3 they do Easy Grammar, write out their verses in cursive and begin with Excellence in Writing.
ablessedlife
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ablessedlife:

K-1 I just do lots of reading (read alouds and silent reading). Our home is filled with children's books. For writing they do letters and notes to relatives and friends abroad. They also keep a science journal (I ask them what they learned today and I write on another piece of paper what they say. Then they copy it into their journals and draw a picture). they also write out their Bible memory verse for handwriting practice and sometime I will dictate a list of words to see how their spelling is. Sometimes I have them write in another little journal with sentance starters like,"When I am ten years old, I will...". These are great for keeping and reading when they get older!
For grade2 I started with Pathway Readers ( Reader and workbook) and Spelling Power. They continue to write out their memory verses and write science journals. In grade 3 they do Easy Grammar, write out their verses in cursive and begin with Excellence in Writing.

I would like to add that we tested our eldest ( age 9 and just finished grade 3) with a Canadian standardized test last week. He scored at Grade Level Equivalent ( GLE) 8.8 for reading and GLE 10.5 for Language! So I think what I have been doing is working. I especially believe that Excellence in Writing gave him a tremendous boost.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
LA is one of these umbrella terms that encompasses all aspects of writing - spelling, parts of speech, etc. we dont do formal curriculum for anything, but I use apps for spelling and learning grammar. Then the kids write stories and they learn a lot just through the editing process.
alissaplusthree
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I make sure my kids use proper grammar in their daily speech. I tell them how to spell words whenever they ask.

We read a LOT of good books (including the classics) that are rich in language and proper grammar.

Aleshad01
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We have a LA book from Abeka that we use.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

This is me and mine.  :) 

Quoting Boobah:

She reads on her own for reading, and also books pertaining to history or science. Narration is what we do for reading comprehension
We have a "comprehensive curriculum" workbook that keeps me on track as far as what she needs to know about nouns, verbs, etc. then I extend from there. (having her copy rules, tips, keys, etc)

Did I cover it all?

oredeb
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

sounds good and fun to me nikki!!

Quoting Boobah:

Did I cover it all?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)