Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach your kids language arts?

Posted by   + Show Post

how do you teach lang. arts to the kids,?

what do you use?

at what age, grade level did you start?

is there anything special you do?

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Replies (21-24):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I was also taught in PS and I really suck at LA. I am embarrassed to admit it but that is the Gods honest truth. 

Thanks for the book ideas. Do you think that this book will be too challenging for my 6 yr old to understand? Or will it give me a better understanding so I can teach him easier? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting chotovec82:

I learned to spoke English in PS, so's I stink at at! (lol, JK, well...mostly...hehehe) so I use Painless Grammar and Painless Spelling as my teachers manuals.

http://www.amazon.com/Painless-Grammar-Barrons-Series/dp/0764147129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340211573&sr=8-1&keywords=painless+grammar

http://www.amazon.com/Painless-Spelling-Barrons-Series/dp/0764147137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340211601&sr=8-1&keywords=painless+spelling

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quoting chotovec82:

Nope it would work for both your son and yourself!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

LindaClement
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I didn't teach my kids language arts.

We talked about language a lot --and talked a lot in general. Both dh and I are avid (compulsive, some might say) readers, who demonstrated every single day the value of reading and writing (I'm also a writer and an editor)...

I read a lot about the research supporting various language arts programs (not the ad materials, but research studies and the outcome of the use of programs) and found out that none of them work very well once they're in the general population --and all of them work pretty well when they're being used by people who care about their kids' education (and are actively involved in it, however it is 'delivered'). That is: parents who care about their kids' educations, and do anything about that, can use pretty much any program (or none at all) and end up with kids that score about 25 basis points above the 'norm'...

We spent a lot of time at the library, and a lot of time reading and using books, magazines, encyclopedii, dictionaries and thesauri...

My kids learned to read when they could, pretty seamlessly, with no direct instruction at all.

They both learned to write, years later actually, the same way: seamlessly, with no direct instruction at all.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

We have a unit study, so it's built in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)