Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chalkboards...How-To....

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

Does anyone use chalkboards for their schooling?  If so, here is a How-To Article on how to make your own chalkboard.......

How to Make Homemade Chalkboards

Jeanne Paglio

As an author and instructor in the arts, Jeanne Paglio has been writing since 2001 and has been an artist for over 25 years. Her articles have appeared in "Painting Magazine," "Quick & Easy Painting," and "The Decorative Painter." Paglio studied art and design at Rhode Island School of Design.

By Jeanne Paglio, eHow Contributor

Blackboards used to be made from slate, but today they are made from a variety of materials. This project uses masonite, but if you don't have any masonite available, a temporary chalkboard can be made from rigid cardboard using the same method as described below.

Things You'll Need

• Masonite rectangle (9 by 12 inches) Chalkboard paint Paint roller Ruler Pencil Hand saw Plate
Show More

Instructions

1. Measure the masonite to 9 by 12 inches, and draw the lines onto the surface indicating your measurments. Cut the rectangle with a saw, and wipe it clean of dust.

2. Mix the paint well. Pour it into a plate. Roll your paint roller back and forth to load a significant amount of paint onto it.

3. Roll the paint over the shiny, smooth side of the masonite in a straight back-and-forth motion. Keep the paint flowing in one direction, making sure there are no ridges in the paint. Let the paint dry.

4. Roll at least two more layers of paint onto the surface in the same manner as you previously did. Let each layer dry before adding the next, making sure the paint is smooth.

5. Run your hand across the dry painted surface. If there are any bumps or ridges, lightly sand them with a fine grit sandpaper, wipe the dust away, and add an additional layer of paint to the surface. When the paint has set over night, the chalkboard can be used. To clean it, simply wipe the chalk away using a damp cloth or chalk eraser.

How to Make Homemade Chalkboards | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4793425_make-homemade-chalkboards.html#ixzz1yHfKd6LV

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh this could be a fun project!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Just what I was thinking too.  lol  :)  

Quoting usmom3:

Oh this could be a fun project!

mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We use dry erase right now but once we can move we are planning on  painting at least one wall of the school area with chalkboard paint & using that instead.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Bumping to get it with the chalk post :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM
I heard the paint can be really messy. I've always wanted to do a chalkboard wall....but w/ DS asthma we can't have all the chalk dust in the air :(
oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

weve done this, and framed the chalk board in, they work great!!!

good post sonja!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I would love to do a whole wall!  Then the kids would have enough room to do school and play.  :)

Quoting mamabens:

We use dry erase right now but once we can move we are planning on  painting at least one wall of the school area with chalkboard paint & using that instead.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Maybe you could go with a whiteboard..?  I have one and love it!  We use it for everything. Schoolwork, play, even my husbands work and his random thoughts on subjects he is studying at the moment.  It was a godsend when we stumbled across it.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I heard the paint can be really messy. I've always wanted to do a chalkboard wall....but w/ DS asthma we can't have all the chalk dust in the air :(

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Thanks Debs. :)   I was just sitting and looking at my whiteboard and wondering what bargain I could think of that the group might like and or get some use from. Then it just came in a flash. Why not search for how to make your own chalkboard. So I did.  But I couldn't just stop there. I had to search up how to make your own chalk too.  lol 

Quoting oredeb:

weve done this, and framed the chalk board in, they work great!!!

good post sonja!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN