Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: World Maps?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love world maps?  What type of geography have you taught your kids?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victorianmom55
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:47 AM
1 mom liked this

We love World Maps, because I have traveled many places and we like to talk about visiting other places. We plan trips as our lessons, asking questions such as "What kind of clothes would you need?", "What kind of traditional foods do they eat", these kind of questions. Then we  look into the history of the country.

Shari, wife to John 4/88, mom to Heather 1/77,Nyssa 4/89, Michaela 8/94

mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Love world maps and maps in general. I won a really nice world map from CM a while back and it now hangs in our school room.

My oldest is 6 so his geography "lessons" have mostly been about continents and the US. Geography is probably my favorite subject so we do quite a bit with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
LOVE IT!! We actually use maps all the time! One of our favorite apps on the iPad is Barefoot Atlas.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I hate world maps.  We have 3 globes.  I know that we can't take them with us much (though we have a blow up one that we take with us)  My kids can't seem to wrap their mind around the polar stretch on a map and when we used one that was a "peeled" globe they couldn't get the gaps were connected.  Now we just keep our work on the globe or on continental maps when we have to!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM
We have a globe, but I'd like to get a world map. I almost got one at a curric sale, but realized it looked out of date. That's the last thing I need. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lo1427
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM
We got one with our little passports kit, but we will also be getting a globe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

love it! we bought one from a school once and it covered my whole wall! our favorite map! weve been through a lot of world maps! one of those must haves for homeschoolers!

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

We love them. We have a world map and a US map on the wall right now. The kids like the US map the best, because it relates to their lives better right now. We are learning about where our families live. We will be doing some ancestry stuff where we will look at the places where our families came from. My DH has family that came to Oregon on the Oregon Trail, and I have family that went to Oklahoma in the Trail of Tears. I grew up in the South West, then moved to Oregon, DH was born in Oregon, but moved around some before settling here. One day we will be looking at the world map, at the places our non-native family members came from. I think it will be fun, and the kids seem to like it so far.

Saraho5
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Need to get one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Love maps and globes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)