Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need some help planning a few projects!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

This will be our first year HS.  I have 2 9th graders and a kindergartner.  For the 9th graders, I am using Apologia for Science and Abeka for nearly everything else.  Anyway, I am going to need some projects for their Physical Science to help fill in some days.  I am required by our cover church (which is required in our state) to have 170 days of lessons.  There are only 16 modules in the course (about 4 modules per every 9 weeks).  I am already trying to plan our first 9 weeks of school work.  I am the type who has to have an organized lesson plan or I will go crazy..lol.

Anyway, I have already planned to do 5 modules in 7 weeks!  So, what I am thinking is after we do these 5 modules, I am going to let them do about 2-3 weeks worth of projects to help reinforce what they have learned.  The boys love doing things like this anyway so I figure it will be great to help fill in days and to help them enjoy it alot more.  They will do at least a one page report with each project that they do.

The first module is on atoms and molecules.  I thought about letting build a model of an atom or molecules.

Module 2 is about air.  It covers carbon dioxide, humidity, the idea of global warming, carbon monoxide, pollution, and the ozone layer.  I am not sure what to do here.  

Module 3 is about the Atmosphere.  It includes the Earth's layers.  So maybe they could do a model of the Earth's layers.

Module 4 is The Wonder of Water.  It basically covers everything water..I am not sure if there is anything I can really do with this that we won't be doing in experiments.

Module 5 is The Hydrosphere.  It covers water sources, the hydrolic cycle, ground water and soil moisture, surface water, atmospheric moisture, and water pollution.  I think for this they can do a nice drawing of the hydrolic cycle. 

I will only do 2 or 3.  I would give them a week to do each project (during normal classtime).

i would love to hear your thoughts and your ideas...thanks.

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Module 1 - get some grapes, clemtines & toothpicks, or for more permanent atomic structures, q-tips, cotton balls and quilt batting. We also love doing the periodic table in cookies.

Module 2 - they can build a hygrometer (to measure humidity) and a Wind meter, both are easy to make and lots of fun. There are also a ton of air experiments and carbon dioxide. There is always the exploding soda bottle, and the index card/cup of water magic trick.

Module 3, it includes the layers inside the earth or just the atmospheric layer? If doing inside the earth layers, there are always volcanos and earth quakes, if doing the atmospheric layers, they can always build a poster labeling the types of things that can fly at the different layers.

Module 4- you can study the water cycle, and try to predict the amt of percipitation your area should get next year based on historical trends. Or learn about hydronic pressure and how it is converted to electricity.

Module 5 - there is a LOT open to you. They can try raising funds to donate to an African village to build a well.. You can also study the rock cycle here and they can grab a camera and make a scrapbook of the rock cycle in action.

I love science. I'd do all of them! Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Module 1 - get some grapes, clemtines & toothpicks, or for more permanent atomic structures, q-tips, cotton balls and quilt batting. We also love doing the periodic table in cookies.

Module 2 - they can build a hygrometer (to measure humidity) and a Wind meter, both are easy to make and lots of fun. There are also a ton of air experiments and carbon dioxide. There is always the exploding soda bottle, and the index card/cup of water magic trick.

Module 3, it includes the layers inside the earth or just the atmospheric layer? If doing inside the earth layers, there are always volcanos and earth quakes, if doing the atmospheric layers, they can always build a poster labeling the types of things that can fly at the different layers.

Module 4- you can study the water cycle, and try to predict the amt of percipitation your area should get next year based on historical trends. Or learn about hydronic pressure and how it is converted to electricity.

Module 5 - there is a LOT open to you. They can try raising funds to donate to an African village to build a well.. You can also study the rock cycle here and they can grab a camera and make a scrapbook of the rock cycle in action.

I love science. I'd do all of them! Lol

Wow!  These are some great ideas!!

I am not much of a science person. I knew I'd come to the right place for help!!  lol.  I really think that I can probably do one for each module, but I don't want to spend more than 3 weeks per 5 modules...Some of the stuff probably wouldn't take a full week to do though.

Thank you so much!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Quoting starbeck96:

Jeez, you should plan on at least a week per module, depending on how much time per day they devote to it.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting starbeck96:

Jeez, you should plan on at least a week per module, depending on how much time per day they devote to it.

LOL..let me clarify.  I went back and looked at what I wrote and it was confusing.  What I meant to say was that I only wanted to plan to spend 3 weeks on projects per 5 modules. 

I have a tentative plan through Christmas.  They will basically spend a little over 1 week per module and then at least another 3 days per module for projects/reports. 

Does that make sense???  LOL..  By Christmas they should be finished with 10 modules including projects, experiments, and reports.  That will leave another 6 modules.  The last 6 modules are a little longer and cover things that will take a little longer. 

We will also add a few field trips..

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM

love what shannon posted!

heres some other sites that might help

http://www.squidoo.com/apologia-physical-science-module-1

http://donnayoung.org/apologia/physical.htm

some videos on experiments using apologia 

http://quizlet.com/subject/apologia-physical-science/

http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/ 

Quoting starbeck96:

This will be our first year HS.  I have 2 9th graders and a kindergartner.  For the 9th graders, I am using Apologia for Science and Abeka for nearly everything else.  Anyway, I am going to need some projects for their Physical Science to help fill in some days.  I am required by our cover church (which is required in our state) to have 170 days of lessons.  There are only 16 modules in the course (about 4 modules per every 9 weeks).  I am already trying to plan our first 9 weeks of school work.  I am the type who has to have an organized lesson plan or I will go crazy..lol.

Anyway, I have already planned to do 5 modules in 7 weeks!  So, what I am thinking is after we do these 5 modules, I am going to let them do about 2-3 weeks worth of projects to help reinforce what they have learned.  The boys love doing things like this anyway so I figure it will be great to help fill in days and to help them enjoy it alot more.  They will do at least a one page report with each project that they do.

The first module is on atoms and molecules.  I thought about letting build a model of an atom or molecules.

Module 2 is about air.  It covers carbon dioxide, humidity, the idea of global warming, carbon monoxide, pollution, and the ozone layer.  I am not sure what to do here.  

Module 3 is about the Atmosphere.  It includes the Earth's layers.  So maybe they could do a model of the Earth's layers.

Module 4 is The Wonder of Water.  It basically covers everything water..I am not sure if there is anything I can really do with this that we won't be doing in experiments.

Module 5 is The Hydrosphere.  It covers water sources, the hydrolic cycle, ground water and soil moisture, surface water, atmospheric moisture, and water pollution.  I think for this they can do a nice drawing of the hydrolic cycle. 

I will only do 2 or 3.  I would give them a week to do each project (during normal classtime).

i would love to hear your thoughts and your ideas...thanks.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Quoting oredeb:

love what shannon posted!

heres some other sites that might help

http://www.squidoo.com/apologia-physical-science-module-1

http://donnayoung.org/apologia/physical.htm

some videos on experiments using apologia 

http://quizlet.com/subject/apologia-physical-science/

http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/ 

Thanks!  I will check out all the links tomorrow when I have a little more time. 

I am planning on getting the Apologia physical science supplemental CD.  That will have extra experiments on it as well I think.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Quoting starbeck96:

Yes that makes way more sense! I thought you'd be scrambling to get it all in!! Lol
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting starbeck96:

Yes that makes way more sense! I thought you'd be scrambling to get it all in!! Lol

LOL...My 5 year old daughter was talking to me when I made that reply.  That happens more often than not though..lol.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Ninth grade is a great time to begin teaching them about sources and how to learn (research) on their own.  You could think about watching a documentary and then having them find credible sources that support or refute the documentary, what types of persuasion were used in the film, and have them debate the topic.  I know that's not really an experiment, but it is a great life skill.  Maybe use one of the global warming videos since there are a lot of non credible sources out there for that!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  I know that they need to learn how to research which is why I am planning on making them write reports throughout the years.

I do like the idea of using global warming for a report. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ninth grade is a great time to begin teaching them about sources and how to learn (research) on their own.  You could think about watching a documentary and then having them find credible sources that support or refute the documentary, what types of persuasion were used in the film, and have them debate the topic.  I know that's not really an experiment, but it is a great life skill.  Maybe use one of the global warming videos since there are a lot of non credible sources out there for that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN