Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Curriculum for 2nd grade.

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am planning ahead by one year. My son with be in a Charter Academy this academic year for my personal situation ATM.  Before we move to AK; I have decided that I will start completely homeschooling him. So that is summer of 2013. I am considering using Abeka for reading, language, phonics, and arithmetic.

Now for science, history, and the other subjects; I need curriculum ideas. I am preferring it to be more secular. While I am Christian; I understand that for my child to succeed in a science field as an adult he must be more rounded and understand all theories aside from Biblical ones- which is why I am not using Abeka for the other subjects.  So any help would be helpful. 

Also I am considering using time4learning.com as a supplemental aid to help me know that he is learning what I teach him. 

So I'd like opinions please :)

Oh and I need an assessment program for my 4 yr old. By that time I will nto know whether to start him in K or 1st. He is doing a lot of K curriculum now and I will be homeschooling him throughout this summer and the following school year and the next summer and so on. So any advise would be helpful with that as well. TIA

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LindaClement
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd suggest using local museums, the library and special interest clubs, hobby groups of focused classes (my kids liked gymnastics and visual arts around that age...)

Here, the K-2 'curriculum' is all one piece. There is no distinction between K and 1 or K and 2. The 'real' stuff doesn't start until 3, when they're hoping most kids will have caught on to reading.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Time4learning is great until about 3rd grade. My boys really loved it. But it isn't sufficient, IMO, as a stand alone curriculum. You would have to do science and writing, at least, on the side. But it was soooo worth the money we spent on it!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Yea I am not using it as a stand alone curriculum. I'm gonna use the "After School Program" they have. I am using Abeka for Math, reading, language and writing. I am worried about History, Science and other subjects that I would like them to know about.

To the other post- I will be using museums, zoos, arts programs, etc.. I just wanted some visual forms of curriculum as well. My kids really like workbooks and being read to so I think text books would actually be good in this area. However they can't be dry; they've gotta be fun. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Time4learning is great until about 3rd grade. My boys really loved it. But it isn't sufficient, IMO, as a stand alone curriculum. You would have to do science and writing, at least, on the side. But it was soooo worth the money we spent on it!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM
We are going to use elemental science earth and space for second, I think.
Still using story of the world for history. Not completely secular though.
Horizons for math
All about spelling level 2
Handwriting without tears cursive third grade
English for the thoughtful child - grammar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

As I don't use any type of curriculum, I just work science into most aspects of our learning times. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I have a second grader this fall, too. I'm interested in what everyone has to say. Bump!

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

chot, online theres some good history and science sites, type in your child grade level and history and it will come up with some neat sites, also theres unit studies you can do with all the kids, those are great! check out currclick.com they have a bunch of neat stuff and some of its free but most of its very good priced! you'll have to join the site , but doesnt cost and worth it! theres lots of all subjects for school there, history, science, etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)