Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standardized testing...

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am gonna be living in a state that doesn't have any regulations for homeschooling (yay!). However I am still wondering how I would go about getting my kids into the state testing? Eventhough Alaska holds no accountability for homeschoolers; I still want my kids to take those tests. I want to see how they are doing. Yes I am aware that those tests are not an accurate reflection of what my kid knows but still if they score low in places then I know to focus a little more time in that area. Anyway ideas on how to get them tested when not in the PS system?

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

As a tutor, I find standardized testing to be meaningless.  I have a gifted student, and the test indicated he had a vocabulary problem..  He has a large vocabulary.  The problem was that he needed to learn word families so as to improve his ability to read large words. These tests do not even reveal reading problems until third grade.

You might however want to use some testing resources just to find out what your children are grasping:

'Bayside School Services

Brewer Testing Services

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

If you're going to test, I'd use something like the Stanford.

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

chot, contact someone in a homeschool group there, they should know, where and how, also library might know how to contact homeschool group if you can find one, or just look around for a mom and kids all differnt ages following her!hahahah

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You can order the tests like Stanford online and gove them to the kids, yourself.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I agree with Debbie. You might even try one of your sunday school teachers. They have some teaching abilities and would know, for the most part, whether or not your child(ren) would need more focus on something specific.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM
We don't do standardized setting. As you pointed out they have trouble with giving a balanced representation of what a child really knows. We don't do any testing really. We don't move on until a child exhibits mastery, so I didnt see the need. Good luck though!
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I will never subject my kids to testing unless the law changes & makes me have to!

black.eyeliner
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Waste of money. We did it one year. Never again. After the first year I could see where my kids stood. I was told this would happen too and then it just hit me. Then I saw my kids pass their grade level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victorianmom55
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

We have done Standardized Testing a couple of times, because of extended family pressure (my mother), after the second test, she stopped bothering us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)