Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So, how do YOU plan? Any tips?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

This year I got a cheap, plain teacher's planner from the 1 dollar bins at Target. When opened and flat, it shows a week with the five days down the side and lined spaces across the two pages. At the top, it has a line for week, materials needed, and subject lines. I made it into my unit planner. Where it says week, I put the Unit topic. Where it asks for subject, I write what areas of the subject I want to cover, and then in materials I'm listing things I will need to collect.

Then, in the space for week days, I am breaking down what we are going to do. Ie: What project, websites and worksheets. I plan to print off everything I need, including a booklist. I will get another planner that I will actually fill out and have all of my units planned and ready. I will just have to choose which one to do, when. If I try to pick the dates out too far in advance, things get messed up, which is why I need a second planner. lol Does this make sense? How do you do it?

*PS- My laptop screen is cracked so I can't see some parts of what I type so please forgive typos and such. LOL*

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

makes sense mem

after i have all my unit studies done(which is in aug.), i either use a notebook or one of those dollar store or target planners,

i label the subjects lang. arts, math and unit studies across the top,

then i just start on the  slot(leaving out the dates)(thats when we will go back to school is always on a monday)

and write what the kids have to do in lang. arts , math and the rest of the columns are for unit study work, under each day of week i write what we are doing in the unit study that day.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Working on this still bumping for more ideas :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry to here that your screen is cracked! As for planing I do very little planing because I have learned the more I plan the more screwed up my plans get!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, the kids finally broke it. Rob is going to try and change the screen. *fingers crossed*

Quoting usmom3:

Sorry to here that your screen is cracked! As for planing I do very little planing because I have learned the more I plan the more screwed up my plans get!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

LOL Every year I do it differently. 8)

Quoting Boobah:

Working on this still bumping for more ideas :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Sounds like we do similar things. How do you come up with ideas for units?

Quoting oredeb:

makes sense mem

after i have all my unit studies done(which is in aug.), i either use a notebook or one of those dollar store or target planners,

then i just start on the  slot(leaving out the dates)(thats when we will go back to school is always on a monday)

and write what the kids have to do in lang. arts , math and the rest of the columns are for unit study work, under each day of week i write what we are doing in the unit study that day.

oredeb
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

i have the kids write down what they want to learn next year, it usually follows under the heading of history or science, then i make up the unit studies in july and august using everything i can get my hands on!

Quoting mem82:

Quoting oredeb:

makes sense mem

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Wow. I never use a planner. I hate those things. lol  I hate being put into a box, if you know what I mean.  What I do is think about what it is I want the kids learning and start buying, second hand of course, the books related to what I am thinking about. Then I buy a bunch of notebook paper and even more of spiral notebooks. I write each child's name on it. Then, about a week or 2 before school starts, I start writing down in each child's notebook, the lessons or subjects for either that day or that week, depending on which child I am writing the curriculum for.  We start out easy and work our way into difficult within the month.  We stay that way pretty much till the last day of school.  I am always changing the subjects and the particular way of learning to keep them from getting bored. Then, I also add here and there projects and extra curriculars that they are into and have them incorporate that into their daily work or their weekly work.  A lot of times what will happen is, the day gets started and we all end up having a heavy discussion that day and their regular schoolwork is only partially done. But I don't really mind as they love these times so much and remember what the discussion was about months and months later.  lol 

So, this is basically how I set up my schooling. 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Love this idea oredeb!

Quoting oredeb:

i have the kids write down what they want to learn next year, it usually follows under the heading of history or science, then i make up the unit studies in july and august using everything i can get my hands on!

Quoting mem82:

Quoting oredeb:

makes sense mem

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My poor 1st grader was my guinea pig this year as we embarked on our first year of homeschooling.  What we learned is that planning isn't for us.  We never stuck to the plan and learned so much more when in  go-with-the-flow mode.  I will still buy curriculum because we do follow and use some of it for core subjects, but we've discovered funner ways of learning and follow the kids interests more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN