Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

saxon vs. abeka

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm trying to decide between Saxon and Abeka for math.  Does anyone have any opinions?

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
I personally am not a fan of Saxon. We used it for first grade and were just bored. It's very public school, if not even more boring. Lol
Next year we are using horizons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Forgot to add, I have no exp with abeka.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I personally am not a fan of Saxon. We used it for first grade and were just bored. It's very public school, if not even more boring. Lol
Next year we are using horizons.

Oh Ok. I've heard good things about Saxon. However if it's boring and not challenging then I might not want to go with that. My oldest is very good at math. 

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

oh boy your gona hear lots of opinions on both these and others!hahahah

i love saxon math used it for over 20 years with 4th -12th grades, still using it!

for the younger years we use rod and staff(another black and white math workbook!)

saxon the younger grades only used a bit and was black and white, no pictures but the kids learned from it, no distractions from those neat pictures most math books have!

abeka math- never been a fan of it, its funny but i cant remember why!hahahahhaa its been years since ive even seen it! but i hear its good

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for your opinion. I figure I'll hear a lot about both of these and that is my aim. I don't know a whole lot about any of the curriculums which is why I am trying to see what others are liking.

Quoting oredeb:

oh boy your gona hear lots of opinions on both these and others!hahahah

i love saxon math used it for over 20 years with 4th -12th grades, still using it!

for the younger years we use rod and staff(another black and white math workbook!)

saxon the younger grades only used a bit and was black and white, no pictures but the kids learned from it, no distractions from those neat pictures most math books have!

abeka math- never been a fan of it, its funny but i cant remember why!hahahahhaa its been years since ive even seen it! but i hear its good

calimom1123
by Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
We have used abeka prek-3. It is advanced by a good year than most curriculums. It gave dd a very solid start. It was a perfect amount of review and new concepts for her. She catches on quickly. There was just one worksheet to do daily and it really didnt take me long to explain what to do. We are switching to bju math(the newest edition) this year and shes able to skip up to their 5th grade math.(she just finished abeka math 3). It was starting to get a bit boring toward the end of 3rd and dd doesnt need as much review now so thats why we are switching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)