Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Journaling...

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

Have you ever journaled before? Is journaling part of your school curriculum?

I have journaled a few times when I was younger but I never kept it up. I am thinking about having the kids journal for school and for themselves.  I am finding that a good reflextion of one's self is important in keeping yourself honest and knowing yourself as you would a close family member. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has/is doing something like this too and what your thoughts are on the subject.  (?)

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saraho5
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I don't journal, but I think it's a great thing to do.

I'm going to have a journal (notebook) for DD as part of Literacy/writing in the Fall. Not sure if I want lined paper or blank paper... I'm more about the content/creativity at this point than I am on actual handwriting (for journal time).

As for a personal journal, she'd be all over a sparkly one that locked I'm sure! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

We don't but I keep thinking about doing it.

..guesswho..
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I always buy a journal with the intentions of keeping it. I write in it for a week and then don't anymore. I think it's an awesome thing to do though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM

the kids do it, i dont, but they write something in there journals each day,

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:33 AM
I'm a. Big supporter of journaling. We are hoping to reintroduce it this coming year. I had stopped pushing only because they would get so frustrated with their limited spelling and messy handwriting. But they are more confident writers now. I actually have gotten a couple of those notebooks and went through each page. At the top I wrote a writing prompt. The kids can choose to follow the prompt or do a general reflection. But we have guidelines. They also have to write one positive thing that happened that day, and one good thing about themselves. It's a great way to build self esteem.
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I don't journal but recently started having my first grader do it every school day first thing before doing anything else.  He hates writing and reading but seems to really enjoy journaling.  I always use a writing prompt and tell him he has to write atleast 3 sentences about it. 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm a. Big supporter of journaling. We are hoping to reintroduce it this coming year. I had stopped pushing only because they would get so frustrated with their limited spelling and messy handwriting. But they are more confident writers now. I actually have gotten a couple of those notebooks and went through each page. At the top I wrote a writing prompt. The kids can choose to follow the prompt or do a general reflection. But we have guidelines. They also have to write one positive thing that happened that day, and one good thing about themselves. It's a great way to build self esteem.

I love the idea of having them write one positive thing about themselves every day!  I think I might steal that idea!  :)  and maybe add that mine have to pick one family member each day to write something positive about too (then maybe my kids won't fight so much!  lol)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Quoting rsrangel:

Feel free! I've had them do the same with their sibling in the pst, but my kids are pretty got at not fighting.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I think I am going to have the lined paper. It will help keep the words straight at least, if not keep the words spelled correctly.  lol 

Quoting Saraho5:

I don't journal, but I think it's a great thing to do.

I'm going to have a journal (notebook) for DD as part of Literacy/writing in the Fall. Not sure if I want lined paper or blank paper... I'm more about the content/creativity at this point than I am on actual handwriting (for journal time).

As for a personal journal, she'd be all over a sparkly one that locked I'm sure! lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Thats where I've been for awhile. Now I am going to actually do it.  lol

Quoting mem82:

We don't but I keep thinking about doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)