Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever journaled before? Is journaling part of your school curriculum?

I have journaled a few times when I was younger but I never kept it up. I am thinking about having the kids journal for school and for themselves.  I am finding that a good reflextion of one's self is important in keeping yourself honest and knowing yourself as you would a close family member. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has/is doing something like this too and what your thoughts are on the subject.  (?)

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Replies (21-28):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

Lol, for some reason this made me picture you with a coaches whistle directing the fighters back to their corners...lol
LindaClement
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like insufficient drawing supplies... she needs a 100 page sketchbook to carry with her at all times (I know lots of artists who do...)

Just fyi, 'cause I happen to like Latin: it's 'per se', pronounced 'per say'... :D

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL  ~  Its not really harmful persa, its just she doodles on other people's things. When you have 7 kids and 6 of them are complaining about the one who is writing on their stuff and using their personal notebooks, it can drive you a liitle crazy, thats all.  :)  

Quoting LindaClement:

It only drives you crazy because you weren't allowed... what harm is there in it?

Quoting kirbymom:

I used to be the same way when I was about 14. Now my oldest, she is the same way too. In fact, she is writing poems and short stories all the time. And if there is anything that can be written on, she doodles all over it.  Drives me crazy with the amount she doodles.  She doodles as much as she writes.  lol 

Quoting LindaClement:

I have, and my kids have from time to time. It's never been a part of their education.

I like the process, but I'm as likely to write a new poem (or short story or essay) or doodle as write about my current life.

Lynette
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Yes, I journal.  I keep one for each of my kids.  When they are older I plan to have them keep journals as well.  It's very important to me that they each keep a personal history.

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of 4.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

yes they all do it, they start out drawing pictures with a word or 2 (maybe haha) then as they learn more handwriting spelling etc they would add on to it with sentences, we use those black and white composions books, some of the kids decorate the covers(the girls), others dont, they write about their days, what they want to do, poems they've wrote or like, songs they write, jokes, problems, every day stuff, glue pictures in them, the kids liked going back and looking at the books now that they are older.

Quoting kirbymom:

Have you had all of your kids/students do this? 

Quoting oredeb:

the kids do it, i dont, but they write something in there journals each day,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I am thinking it may be a little more important than I gave thought to before.

Quoting Lynette:

Yes, I journal.  I keep one for each of my kids.  When they are older I plan to have them keep journals as well.  It's very important to me that they each keep a personal history.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I bet.  How many of them were amazed at the progress they were making as they were growing up? 

Quoting oredeb:

yes they all do it, they start out drawing pictures with a word or 2 (maybe haha) then as they learn more handwriting spelling etc they would add on to it with sentences, we use those black and white composions books, some of the kids decorate the covers(the girls), others dont, they write about their days, what they want to do, poems they've wrote or like, songs they write, jokes, problems, every day stuff, glue pictures in them, the kids liked going back and looking at the books now that they are older.

Quoting kirbymom:

Have you had all of your kids/students do this? 

Quoting oredeb:

the kids do it, i dont, but they write something in there journals each day,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

She has a dozen or so notebooks.  She just can't help herself.  She has to draw on everything. lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Sounds like insufficient drawing supplies... she needs a 100 page sketchbook to carry with her at all times (I know lots of artists who do...)

Just fyi, 'cause I happen to like Latin: it's 'per se', pronounced 'per say'... :D  ~~  Thanks. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL  ~  Its not really harmful persa, its just she doodles on other people's things. When you have 7 kids and 6 of them are complaining about the one who is writing on their stuff and using their personal notebooks, it can drive you a liitle crazy, thats all.  :)  

Quoting LindaClement:

It only drives you crazy because you weren't allowed... what harm is there in it?

Quoting kirbymom:

I used to be the same way when I was about 14. Now my oldest, she is the same way too. In fact, she is writing poems and short stories all the time. And if there is anything that can be written on, she doodles all over it.  Drives me crazy with the amount she doodles.  She doodles as much as she writes.  lol 

Quoting LindaClement:

I have, and my kids have from time to time. It's never been a part of their education.

I like the process, but I'm as likely to write a new poem (or short story or essay) or doodle as write about my current life.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

She can get over it.

Quoting kirbymom:

She has a dozen or so notebooks.  She just can't help herself.  She has to draw on everything. lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Just fyi, 'cause I happen to like Latin: it's 'per se', pronounced 'per say'... :D  ~~  Thanks. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)