Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's the most extreme thing you've ever done on your children's behalf?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Parents Accused of Planting Drugs to Frame School PTA President 

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on June 21, 2012 

Kent and Jill Easter
Jill and Kent Easter
When we say we would do anything for our children, we don't really mean ANYTHING ... or we shouldn't. Take this couple from Irvine, California, Kent and Jill Easter, who took extreme action when they believed their son wasn't receiving adequate supervision at his elementary school. And I mean extreme.

Instead of speaking with school officials to address their concerns about a particular volunteer, they instead allegedly decided to plant drugs on her and then call police to get her into some hot water. According to the Los Angeles Times, after midnight one night in February 2011, Kent drove to the woman's house, put a bag of marijuana and some prescription drugs in her car where they were visible, then drove to a hotel and called police to report (with a fake name) that he'd seen the woman -- who is also president of the school's PTA president -- driving erratically and putting drugs in her car.

Police found the drugs, pulled the woman out of class, searched her home, and detained her for a couple of hours. Can you imagine how terrifying that would be. Especially for something you have no clue about? Fortunately, they cleared her quickly, and the Easters were eventually suspected. (They had reportedly sued the woman previously over an incident two years ago in which they say the woman locked their son out of a tennis lesson.) Video surveillance from the hotel as well as communications on their mobile devices pretty much nailed them.

Insane right? Even more insane is the fact that both parents are well educated -- they're attorneys! Now they're relying on attorneys to save them from jail, as they have been charged with three felonies and could face up to three years in prison.

I simply can't imagine how this problem they had with a volunteer could spark such extreme reaction. The woman was giving her time to help out in a school, and this is how she got paid? Even if there was a serious issue, there are so many other -- legal -- options they could have explored. I know those mama and papa bear instincts are strong, but wow did this backfire. Now their three children face years with their parents behind bars. It's truly tragic in so many regards.

It's one thing to want to protect your children at all costs, but resorting to crime is almost never worth the price.

What's the most extreme thing you've ever done on your children's behalf?

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Omg. I don't think I've ever done anything extreme. Aside from being barricaded in my basement w/ my then 3 month old, 6 weeks after 9/11, by our SWAT team..seems we had some infamous gun smuggler for a neighbor.
Moma3boyz
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Most extreme I have went was when my oldest son got kicked off the bus for defending his little brother. The bus turns around just up the road so I decided to wait for the bus so I could ask the driver why my kid got kicked off when the kid who started the fight didn't. Keep in mind little brother was in kinder and big brother was in 1st. The kid who started this was in 3rd. When it looked like the bus wasnt going to stop I stepped out to the middle of the road. Needless to say he stopped and after hearing the WHOLE story he let them back on the bus the next day. Before we pulled the kids out of ps, we ended up calling the police twice on this kid for beating up on our kids, including kicking one of them in the face. If my kids fought back they got suspended and this kid got slap on the wrist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I was in the same situation when I was a child. That is another reason I hate public school so much. I had so many bad experiences as a child that I am honestly afraid for my children. I never want them to go through what I did. It wasn't in any way helpful to my future nor did that treatment help create the person I became. If anything it harbored the person I am because of self confidence issues and self love. 

Quoting Moma3boyz:

Most extreme I have went was when my oldest son got kicked off the bus for defending his little brother. The bus turns around just up the road so I decided to wait for the bus so I could ask the driver why my kid got kicked off when the kid who started the fight didn't. Keep in mind little brother was in kinder and big brother was in 1st. The kid who started this was in 3rd. When it looked like the bus wasnt going to stop I stepped out to the middle of the road. Needless to say he stopped and after hearing the WHOLE story he let them back on the bus the next day. Before we pulled the kids out of ps, we ended up calling the police twice on this kid for beating up on our kids, including kicking one of them in the face. If my kids fought back they got suspended and this kid got slap on the wrist.

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Omg

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM
We HS, some would consider that extreme! Lol
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Quoting chotovec82:

I had the same growing up. In 7th grade I was bullied. I went to the principles office every day out of fear of there being a fight. I was terrified of thos one girl and her little posse. One day I was cornered by them, after months of bullying, and I broke the bully's nose. My parents pulled me out of PS and sent me to private the rest of that year and the next. I went back to PS for highschool dreading being the victim again, and was shocked that I suddenly had this tough girl reputation, all from that one instance. I almost didn't understand the accolades anymore than the bullying!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Wow! I have never ever had to resort to anything like these parents did. Not for school anyway.  How did these 2 grown adults come to this kind of thinking and resort to these kind of actions anyway?  Those poor kids. To be without one is a tragedy, but to be without both is horrific.  :(

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

Wow! I have never ever had to resort to anything like these parents did. Not for school anyway.  How did these 2 grown adults come to this kind of thinking and resort to these kind of actions anyway?  Those poor kids. To be without one is a tragedy, but to be without both is horrific.  :(

I AGREE!

And, IMO, it just proves a fancy education does not equate to intelligence. Though, maybe lawyers don't count? Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

I AGREE!

And, IMO, it just proves a fancy education does not equate to intelligence. Though, maybe lawyers don't count? Lol

Lordy but its scary how like minded we are. lol 

melissaoliver79
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

lol I will admit i pulled a meda on my sons bus and school when a boy choked my son then told him if he told anyone he would come to his house and kill his family ( tooks days for me to get this from my son after his friend told me he heard and seen this)

What these parents did was wrong but I will admit I also know some crazy parents out there that i wouldnt put this past them doing...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)