Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's the most extreme thing you've ever done on your children's behalf?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Accused of Planting Drugs to Frame School PTA President 

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on June 21, 2012 

Kent and Jill Easter
Jill and Kent Easter
When we say we would do anything for our children, we don't really mean ANYTHING ... or we shouldn't. Take this couple from Irvine, California, Kent and Jill Easter, who took extreme action when they believed their son wasn't receiving adequate supervision at his elementary school. And I mean extreme.

Instead of speaking with school officials to address their concerns about a particular volunteer, they instead allegedly decided to plant drugs on her and then call police to get her into some hot water. According to the Los Angeles Times, after midnight one night in February 2011, Kent drove to the woman's house, put a bag of marijuana and some prescription drugs in her car where they were visible, then drove to a hotel and called police to report (with a fake name) that he'd seen the woman -- who is also president of the school's PTA president -- driving erratically and putting drugs in her car.

Police found the drugs, pulled the woman out of class, searched her home, and detained her for a couple of hours. Can you imagine how terrifying that would be. Especially for something you have no clue about? Fortunately, they cleared her quickly, and the Easters were eventually suspected. (They had reportedly sued the woman previously over an incident two years ago in which they say the woman locked their son out of a tennis lesson.) Video surveillance from the hotel as well as communications on their mobile devices pretty much nailed them.

Insane right? Even more insane is the fact that both parents are well educated -- they're attorneys! Now they're relying on attorneys to save them from jail, as they have been charged with three felonies and could face up to three years in prison.

I simply can't imagine how this problem they had with a volunteer could spark such extreme reaction. The woman was giving her time to help out in a school, and this is how she got paid? Even if there was a serious issue, there are so many other -- legal -- options they could have explored. I know those mama and papa bear instincts are strong, but wow did this backfire. Now their three children face years with their parents behind bars. It's truly tragic in so many regards.

It's one thing to want to protect your children at all costs, but resorting to crime is almost never worth the price.

What's the most extreme thing you've ever done on your children's behalf?

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM
Replies (11-15):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

That is so sad to have had to go through that situation just for defending someone. 

Quoting Moma3boyz:

Most extreme I have went was when my oldest son got kicked off the bus for defending his little brother. The bus turns around just up the road so I decided to wait for the bus so I could ask the driver why my kid got kicked off when the kid who started the fight didn't. Keep in mind little brother was in kinder and big brother was in 1st. The kid who started this was in 3rd. When it looked like the bus wasnt going to stop I stepped out to the middle of the road. Needless to say he stopped and after hearing the WHOLE story he let them back on the bus the next day. Before we pulled the kids out of ps, we ended up calling the police twice on this kid for beating up on our kids, including kicking one of them in the face. If my kids fought back they got suspended and this kid got slap on the wrist.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

That must have been very nerve racking what with a 3 mo. old and strange ppl making you do something you never usually do.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Omg. I don't think I've ever done anything extreme. Aside from being barricaded in my basement w/ my then 3 month old, 6 weeks after 9/11, by our SWAT team..seems we had some infamous gun smuggler for a neighbor.

black.eyeliner
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I homeschooled

Yeah that is my extreme but um for me four years ago that is pretty extreme. I was a meak quiet woman who tried to be a soccer mom and make everyone happy.

That ended the day I heard "Mommy ... mommy ... please come get me. He had a gun. He had a gun and was going to shoot me. He was going to .... mommy please please." Those words haunt me. They are the beginning of my nightmares. I am crying thinking of it again.

I drove to the school and lost my damn mind. I was screaming and yelling at the principal who had ignored my complaints about numerous things including the boy who threatened my daughter and numerous other kids. He best friend was next to her weeping with authorization to come home with me. Then the cop was telling me to calm down or he would have to remove me. I am lucky he knew me. I should have been arrested. I really should have. I grabbed the girl, told them I was homeschooling, signed a paper the superintendent gave me, and walked away from my entire life.

I lost all my friends that day. I lost the meak girl I was. I lost the blind mother I had become. I went home and rebuilt myself and my children. I pulled them all that day. I had to. They were being abused and I was ignoring it. The school labeled it bullying. A gun is bullying. No it is not.

I am now a better mother, a better spouse, a better woman. I am now actually alive. I went too far that day and I regret it. But that day my children finally knew that they were important. They finally felt my true love for them.

lucsch
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM

A gun is an automatic expulsion, and the police are called every time--no exceptions--in the school system in which my dh works. They have cameras in all the hallways, and monitors everywhere else. It is a shame they are necessary, but they need them.

I tend to lose my mind when someone bullies my kids. Heck, I was screaming at an old man in a parking lot a few months ago because he said some 4-letter words in front of my 9yo (this was after he cursed at an old lady). I reacted the same way as a child. I was very shy and mild mannered until someone tried to bully me. I never stood for it--fearless!

However, we live in a great school system. For the most part, any issues we have had in the public school have been minor. I try to let my kids handle their own problems. I'm not one of those mamas that tries to solve all of their problems, especially if they are problems they made for themselves.

Still, I'm talking about previous years. My youngest son is going to be a senior this coming year. My youngest child is a 9yo and has been homeschooled from the start. I see changes in kids, changes in parents, that have convinced me that my dd will literally only go to public school over my dead body--and then the life insurance should make it feasible to send her to a private school. That is my only request to my dh--that if I die she go to a private Christian school if I die before she is grown up.

Anyway, concerning the article, I would never go to such great length over such a seemingly minor incident. What were they thinking? That's just nuts!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The most extreme thing I have done for my child was to pull DS1 from ps in the middle of the year to hs.  After several meetings with his teacher and the teacher's actions after each meeting, we pulled DS1 out of ps.  I believe it was the best decision we could have made and just wish that we had done it at the beginning of the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN