Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If my kids would just let me do it for them it would come out 'right'!

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

See this is where I fail. We're making that newspaper fort and of course, all the kids want to get in on the action and help. Their ideas are HUGE and most likely not realistic, but they just keep trying until something comes together. I try to hold onto my temper. If they would just get out of my way, I could make them the best fort that has ever sprang from a mother's mind. The problem is, my sons want the best fort that has ever sprang from their own minds and I'm in their way. LOL They came, they saw, they took over and suddenly my neat and tidy fort is a spaceship/house that is not that sturdy.

BUT THAT"S OKAY! That's what I have to tell the perfectionist in my head. Yes, I was the one who started making it, but I'm 29 years old. I should just let them have at it. If I made it my way, then it would be mine, not theirs.

*Oh and Nikki is screaming ontop of everything else.

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My biggest shortcoming is my struggle with letting go of my own perfectionism in our homeschooling. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I too find it difficult sometimes to just let go, let them make the mess and do it completely on their own. I have gotten a LOT better about it over the past couple of years though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I don't know how many times I have an internal dialogue going on with me & my need to have control of the project at hand!

oredeb
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

yea mem!!!!! way ta go!!!!

LindaClement
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!

I learned, along the way, that patience is a physical skill... I never would have guessed!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Im sorry mama...but I had such a chuckle after reading this. It's just so nice to know I'm not the only one who might be anal and a perfectionist! I can't tell you the holes I have bitten in my lips from stopping myself from interfering. I'm a HUGE perfectionist....like the little person on my shoulder will judge me as a HS / mom FAILURE if it doesn't look absolutely perfect....wait a minute....that's NOT true? I WON'T be a failure judged and mocked by all? Oh well, I think the anal-retentive perfectionist who might (or might not, I admit to NOTHING) have some kind of anxiety issue, is here to stay. Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

That so sounds like me.  lol 

calimom1123
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh I was supposed to let my dd make the fort? Lol.. We just made it,well I made it..lol.. She tried to help but it was taking her a bit long to roll the newspaper so I took over..lol.. It turned out great though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM
This. ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

That so sounds like me.  lol 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

lol ~  You mean we're supposed to let our kids do stuff?  Since when?  hahaha

Quoting calimom1123:

Oh I was supposed to let my dd make the fort? Lol.. We just made it,well I made it..lol.. She tried to help but it was taking her a bit long to roll the newspaper so I took over..lol.. It turned out great though..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)