Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any other moms who just finished their first year of homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone just finish or about to finish their first year of homeschooling?  How did it go?  We are just finishing up and I feel bad that my first child was kinda like my guinea pig lol.  Tried ideas and curriculum, threw some of them out, tried new ones, threw those out, tried to be organized, threw that out....but loving it more now then ever!  :)

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Replies (11-16):
wowguildmomma
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Just finished our first year and it was bonkers. Right in the middle of it DH switched jobs, we moved a town away from where we were and are buying a house, and that is while trying to teach 4 diff ages, had a first grader, k prek and toddler.

Heres to hoping that things smooth out just a lil bit

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM

We just finished our first year. It went pretty good.

ACKCES
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM
We are testing out a curriculum this summer and if we like it we will continue with 1st grade work for our soon to be 5 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM

we are starting in august when my 16yr old starts her school year in PS (fewer distractions that way). i am excited this will be kindergarten for us.

5AkerWood
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Due to a bad situation in PS, we withdrew our son in February. Since it was the middle of the school year and we had NO clue where to start, we simply started 1st grade over for him and are HS-ing through the summer to get him caught up.

There have definitely been some highs and lows. Lots of trying things and deciding they don't work for us. We did purchase an all inclusive curriculum that we really like. Our real problems have boiled down to the fact that DS seems to think that because he is HS-ing, he doesn't "really have to do school." HAHA he has another think coming!

In addition to that, my husband is disabled and is the one home all day to HS our son. I work 45-50 hours a week. Because of my DH's disability, there are some days when he simply isn't physically up to "school time." Initially, I let this freak me out and panic that our son wasn't getting enough sit down school time. Then I realized, "Duh, that is kind of the advantage of HS-ing. We can school on Saturday to make up for the fact that daddy didn't feel well on Tuesday." And we can double up on a lesson here or there. And we can turn everyday things into lessons.

The other night we had to purchase a new microwave. DH & DS were trying all sorts of new things in it at various % of power to see how it turned it out. I sat at my desk working and listened to my DH talk to our 1st grader about %'s and fractions of portion sizes. HUGE math lesson. I was so impressed at the way DH took the time to explain to DS how he was coming up with the times and then let DS try to do some on his own. Made my heart smile, for sure!

My point is this. Don't let schedules and curriculums freak you out! That is part of the advantage of HS-ing. Take your time and enjoy the lessons & projects that your kids really like. Take more time with things that they don't understand and even consider putting a particular unit away and bringing it out later when the child is more perpared/ready for it. Don't push and fret over them not understanding something right away. It'll come! 

Good luck!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We just finishes our first half year of hs.  We have completely changed the curriculum for next year.  I think that our hs experience so far has been pretty good.   I was anxious and stressed at first, but I am feeling more confident in my ability to hs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)