Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Experiments or Projects.....

Posted by   + Show Post

What is the best experiment you and your child(ren) have done?  What would you reccomend a first time family to start with?  

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Replies (31-36):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Quoting mem82:

Oh, cleaning pennies with vinegar or ketchup. Younger kids really like doing this because of how shiny the pennies get.

We did this and tried cleaning the pennies with soap and water, salt, mustard, ketchup, and etc. to which worked best.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

It's funny. I don't often think about typical ages to learn things anymore. I let the kids learn pretty much what they want. But I went to a b-day party today and the cousin of the birthday girl just graduated ps highschool. He was talking about his favorite senior class, where they built battery operated cars. I explained that my kids loved doing that last year. He got a funny look on his face and I realized he's 18 and I just told him my 8 y/o loved doing a class he enjoyed...lol..oops.

I've gone through this a few times myself, in the last few years.  And with the same look coming across their faces too. lol

Seriously though, that is so sad that something like this has to be, just because the system wants to put most kids into a box to keep their individuality to a minimum. Not go against the grain.  That is just so darn sad.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

My son's (9) favorite project this year was a Lego volcano that erupted with orange baking soda lava.  My youngest (3) really like the  rockets we made using film canisters and alka seltzer tablets.  It was big brother's project, but he made one too.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Quoting bether89:

My son's (9) favorite project this year was a Lego volcano that erupted with orange baking soda lava.  My youngest (3) really like the  rockets we made using film canisters and alka seltzer tablets.  It was big brother's project, but he made one too.

They sound like great projects.  Which one was their favorite, or did they have a favorite?  :)

alissaplusthree
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We have experimented with rolling marbles, throwing balls in the air, twirling slinkies (to show movement of waves), twirling cups of water on the end of a string, etc.  

I know none of these sound colorful, but my kids are older. I was trying to use a simple and understandable demo of physics principles through everyday things. I wanted them to be able to see and apply and come up with conclusions, not just follow some list of steps and then read the results they were supposed to get.

BUT>>>>>dropping things off the roof to demonstrate acceleration due to the force of gravity was cool! it was like the David Letterman show, LOL! 

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bether89:

They sound like great projects.  Which one was their favorite, or did they have a favorite?  :)

Those were their favorite projects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)