Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Writing for 13 yr old

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

My most pressing issue right now is finding a writing program/system for my 13 yr old son.  I guess I have been avoiding it for the most part since bringing him home because he HATES it so much.  I need a serious plan that starts him from pretty much the ground up.  I believe this will ease our frustration a bit.  I would rather start at the beginning of something and move along more quickly than continue this struggle.  I have been looking into Writing With Ease (Susan Wise Bauer).  Are any of you familiar with this and what do you think?  Any other suggestions? 

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Does he enjoying gaming or comics? We started my adverse-to-writing 11 y/o by having him make home-made cartoons. Then he started writing storylines for games, then making up stories. Now I can't get him to STOP, LOL
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Hi vicki.  Welcome.  :)

I agree with Shannon. I would start with writing short comics and make descriptionss on how to play a game.  I did the same thing with my 2 boys. They are much beter at writing even if its still not their favorite subject.  :) 

vicki5
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Thank you both for the suggestion.  I guess I need to work on thinking outside the box.  lol 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Quoting vicki5:

Thank you both for the suggestion.  I guess I need to work on thinking outside the box.  lol 

It took me a while to get used to it myself! No worries.
oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

weve never used a writing program, i started my kids with poetry, at first they were whining about it then it took off when they seen they could do it,  each less we did was of a certain type of poetry, explanation on how to do it(all found on Internet)  we kept everything we did in notebook

also heres a site that helped us a lot! http://www.brucevanpatter.com/funstuff.html

he had one on there where first you drew the island you were gona write about, then you started with the characters, then the reason they came to the island etc , the kids kept this one up for a couple years!! my non writers loved this! they even drew more pictures,

also an idea is having him keep a journal, start out slowly (this is what we did) by giving him questions to answer, then eventually he'll start doing it on his own(we did this along with all the other writing stuff above, it just got the kids use to writing and not thinking it was a chore

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

You might want to try Writers Inc.  You can get the workbook that goes with the book.  It has many writing activities and writing prompts to use.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN