Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you do a pre school program? Either at home or in a B&M school?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

How old do you feel is appropriate to start a 'program'?

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM
We have always HS, even when the kids were toddlers. They have never really been in a B& M school before!
oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

no preschool program here, we did lots and lots of art and craft stuff when the kids were little before offically homeschooling i guess you call it

weve not been to any b and m schools, the school system has no record of the kids

Saraho5
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Oldest DD went to a 4 year old private preschool. MWF 9-11:30.
The two teachers LOVED their job & DD LOVED it. Too bad kindergarten didn't turn out the same way in public school!
DS and DD2 won't be going to any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gratefulgal
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

We did a preschool program with DS 1 (who is now in K) but I was a novice and enjoyed having a "plan" to follow. With DS 2 we have learned to be more relaxed. We are taking a learn-all-the-time approach to it with him and most likely won't do a curriculum. I'll just alter whatever I'm teaching his older brother. I'm not against the curriculum thing, especially for children who WANT and LOVE to do worksheets (my 1st was all of that!), but we just don't need it this time around. I don't regret it, though. Does that make sense? lol. No actual brick and mortar schools, though, and Good Lord willing, never will! :)

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Both of my guys started with a Mom's Day out program once or twice a week when they were 3. Then, when they were 4 they went to preschool. My oldest did a private preschool through a local church. He went 2&1/2 days a week. My youngest went to a parent cooperative preschool 2 days a week. One parent had to assist in a classroom 2 times a month and be on clean-up duty once a month.

IMO, when you start depends on each child. My oldest was not ready to start and cried a LOT. We had to withdraw him after a few weeks into his first semester and try again when he was a bit older. I think 4 is probably a better age for most kids.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM

This!

Quoting oredeb:

no preschool program here, we did lots and lots of art and craft stuff when the kids were little before offically homeschooling i guess you call it

weve not been to any b and m schools, the school system has no record of the kids

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

DS1 went to preschool and kindergarten.  We just started hs in 3rd grade.  DS2 (3 yrs old) will be doing preschool at home this coming school year.  

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM

No official "schooling" until they are 6 or more.  They naturally learn all they need when they are little :-)

ACKCES
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We sent our son to preschool last year to "socialize".  Big mistake.  Sure, he made some friends, but we paid $90 a month for him to make friends basically.  He started the year in August and turned 4 in September.  He was in a 3 day, 2 1/2 hour class with 4 and 5 year olds.  He was the youngest one there and knew more than every single one of the 14 kids in his class - even the ones who turned 6 before the year was over in May.  We went in for a conference, and they basically showed us the "evaluation testing" which did not show everything he knew.  He would come home with his work unfinished because he already knew it and didn't think he had to do it.  Oh, and the teacher still gave him a sticker on every letter book even when they were incomplete.  This is a kid who was singing his abc's at 18 months and could count to 60 before his friends could count to 5.  (Most parents wish for a smart kid... sometimes I wish mine was normal! lol.)  Anyways, I wanted to homeschool since before he was born, but we thought preschool would help him out with the "S" word and making friends.  Totally not worth it.  The art projects were cute - but we could have done those here!  Needless to say, we will not be sending him back.  It is an amazing private methodist preschool for average kids.  We just felt we were wasting our money on the education end of it for where our son is.   He will be 5 in september and we will be starting a 1st grade curriculum.  If we had sent him to school, he would have to do another year of preschool, then kindergarten, Then first (based on our starting age date here).  And in all honesty, I don't believe he is mature enough yet for kindergarten IF we did send him.  You know how they say blind people hear better or deaf people smell better, etc... I believe the same goes for kids... Unfortunately with his brains, his maturity is lacking (or it could be the impending add/adhd that runs undiagnosed/untreated in our family!)

Homeschool WAHM of 1 wonderful little boy :)
http://Alotta.Scentsy.us
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Dd1 went to prek 3, we homeschooled prek 4. I considered putting dd2 in prek3 2 days a week just so they could have time apart, but I really can't afford it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)