Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Tutoring

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 18 Replies

I have read on some of the HS groups here on cafemom, that a few of you tutor for extra income.

I have always done very well in math, which is one subject that so many kids have trouble in.  Last summer, I took pre-cal in college and did really good.  I am thinking about advertising for math tutoring. 

Do you think that I would be able to tutor kids?  If so, what grades do you think I would be able to do and how much should I charge. 

I really need to figure out a way to bring in a little extra income.  If I could just bring in 200-300 per month that would be great.  I know that tutoring will not bring in that much, but I was also thinking of doing something like Avon.

Thank you so much.

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM
absolutely you should! I would go by subject rather than age. You can also start a class if you have a curriculum too. Im sure there would be parents that homeschool that would lovethat. N my area we have homeschooling school I guess you would say....its an umbrella school and they do have teachers that that offer classes. That way if a parent wants someone to teach a certain subjec they have that opportunity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victorianmom55
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I am also looking into tutoring, I have an Early Childhood Education degree and I have taught in a school. So I would tutor PreK-2nd because this is my comfort area.  Also many tutors charge between $10-$35 an hour(session), so it has the possibility to bring in decent money.

I have done Avon in the past without any luck, I really feel that it depends on the area though.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting Precious333:

absolutely you should! I would go by subject rather than age. You can also start a class if you have a curriculum too. Im sure there would be parents that homeschool that would lovethat. N my area we have homeschooling school I guess you would say....its an umbrella school and they do have teachers that that offer classes. That way if a parent wants someone to teach a certain subjec they have that opportunity.

Thank you!  We live in a small town but I know that there are plenty of HS here.  I have just started a local HS group on FB.  Alot of parents probably would love that.  I know that I'd love it if someone would offer to teach my boys science...lol.   Science is definitely my weak subject..

I may mention this idea to a few of the members of the HS group..We may could meet once a week or something..

How much do you think I should charge for tutoring.  I am thinking 10-15 per hour, since we live in such a small town.  I also thought about doing a small group of kids (maybe 3-5 ) of the same grade and charge around 8.00 per hour per kid.  

I would probably only tutor math since that is a subject that I feel the most comfortable with.  I also was a substitute teacher and had many compliments when I subbed for math, so I know that I am capable of teaching it.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting victorianmom55:

I am also looking into tutoring, I have an Early Childhood Education degree and I have taught in a school. So I would tutor PreK-2nd because this is my comfort area.  Also many tutors charge between $10-$35 an hour(session), so it has the possibility to bring in decent money.

I have done Avon in the past without any luck, I really feel that it depends on the area though.

I have an associate degree in accounting and have subbed in the local school systems.  I definitely would stick only with math since that is my comfort zone.  I know I could at least go through 9th grade.  I probably could not help with geometry, but I could easily tutor Algebra, advanced math, and pre-cal.

The only reason I was thinking about Avon is because it is only 10.00 for start up.  For 10.00 even if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out that much.

I've also thought about doing 31 stuff..

victorianmom55
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting victorianmom55:

I have an associate degree in accounting and have subbed in the local school systems.  I definitely would stick only with math since that is my comfort zone.  I know I could at least go through 9th grade.  I probably could not help with geometry, but I could easily tutor Algebra, advanced math, and pre-cal.

The only reason I was thinking about Avon is because it is only 10.00 for start up.  For 10.00 even if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out that much.

I've also thought about doing 31 stuff..

This is true it is only $10 to start with Avon, which is a small investment compared to some of the other direct sales opportunities.

Shari, wife to John 4/88, mom to Heather 1/77,Nyssa 4/89, Michaela 8/94

ablessedlife
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Yes, do it!
After meeting a child just once, you can get a feel for where they are in their math competency. And then you can use games or activities to build them up. I used to tutor math for children. One father told me after a few weeks that his daughter hates "math" (sad voice) but loves "MATH"! (happy voice)
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Thanks everyone!  I think a few weeks before school starts back I will start advertising on Facebook and make some flyers to put up.  I think I will charge 15.00 per hour.  Do you think that is a fair price?  I figure if I can just get three-five students per week it would be worth it..

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Check with your state, in my state you aren't supposed to tutor (for money) without a teaching certificate.

I am allowed to teach ASL classes for $$ but I can't be an interpretor w/o a certification.
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Check with your state, in my state you aren't supposed to tutor (for money) without a teaching certificate.

I am allowed to teach ASL classes for $$ but I can't be an interpretor w/o a certification.

thank you...I am pretty sure that we can tutor without certicate here because I know several high school and college students that do.  I think as long as you are not the sole educational provider you don't have to have a teaching certificate.  Since I am only wanting to tutor kids after they get out of school or to supplement what they are learning in their HS environment, I think i am safe, but I will check into it just to be sure..

victorianmom55
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Thank you for the reminder, here you don't have to have a certificate to tutor, however because I don't have my credentials I really am not suppost to say I am a teacher...even though I have a piece of paper that says I am qualified

Shari, wife to John 4/88, mom to Heather 1/77,Nyssa 4/89, Michaela 8/94

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)