Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have read on some of the HS groups here on cafemom, that a few of you tutor for extra income.

I have always done very well in math, which is one subject that so many kids have trouble in.  Last summer, I took pre-cal in college and did really good.  I am thinking about advertising for math tutoring. 

Do you think that I would be able to tutor kids?  If so, what grades do you think I would be able to do and how much should I charge. 

I really need to figure out a way to bring in a little extra income.  If I could just bring in 200-300 per month that would be great.  I know that tutoring will not bring in that much, but I was also thinking of doing something like Avon.

Thank you so much.

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (11-18):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I tutor, and there are several options:

• You can work for a tutoring company...I work for "A Quantum Leap", but also tutor on my own. 
  • I advertise on Angie's list,, and on my website
  • If you work for a tutoring company, they provide the curriculum, and you get paid 25.00 per hour. 30.00 and up per hour if it is SES tutoring in the public schools. 
  • If you work independently, you provide your own curriculum and can charge 50.00 to 75.00 per hour
  • Keep in mind that tutoring services last from 1 hour to 1.5 hours.  So if you tutored for only one hour, and traveled to the child's home, you need to consider gas, wear and tare on your car, travel time and curriculum costs.  Depending on the State, you may also need to pay for a business license.
  • Contact your State to find out about the laws, because each State is different..  
  • You will also have to report your income at the end of the year, and pay the usual payroll taxes out of your own pocket.  Tutoring Companies do not do this for you. It is not hard to do, but it is an added expense. 

P.S. I started out working for a tutoring company.  It helped me get my feet wet, and they helped with the legal requirements.  They also issue a 1099 at the end of the year making tax time a bit easier.

Tutoring companies always require that an adult be present when you are tutoring minors. They do not want you to be alone with a minor.  This is a practice I continue in my own tutoring.  So we have always tutored in the child's home, at the school,  or a public library.  I like tutoring in the home, because the children are more relaxed, and the parent can see what you are doing. 

oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM

there was always homeschoolers loooking for math  tutors! specially when they get into the upper grades, so good idea! can you put an add in the library or paper, or with homeschool groups in your area? with schools?

Quoting starbeck96:

I have an associate degree in accounting and have subbed in the local school systems.  I definitely would stick only with math since that is my comfort zone.  I know I could at least go through 9th grade.  I probably could not help with geometry, but I could easily tutor Algebra, advanced math, and pre-cal.

The only reason I was thinking about Avon is because it is only 10.00 for start up.  For 10.00 even if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out that much.

I've also thought about doing 31 stuff..

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Thank you.

My husband is self employed so taxes and all the paperwork are no big deal to me.  I also have an associate degree in accounting.

I also would require a parent/guardian to be present while tutoring their child.

I don't think I would want to go through a company.  I'd rather just do everything on my own.  I would use the child's math book that they are using in school to help them.  I really want to keep my rates low so that I can really help others and it would help me.  I am thinking about 15.00 per session.  Our town is small and is not a rich town so I think anything higher and I would not be able to get anyone..

Quoting romacox:

I tutor, and there are several options:

• You can work for a tutoring company...I work for "A Quantum Leap", but also tutor on my own. 
  • I advertise on Angie's list,, and on my website
  • If you work for a tutoring company, they provide the curriculum, and you get paid 25.00 per hour. 30.00 and up per hour if it is SES tutoring in the public schools. 
  • If you work independently, you provide your own curriculum and can charge 50.00 to 75.00 per hour
  • Keep in mind that tutoring services last from 1 hour to 1.5 hours.  So if you tutored for only one hour, and traveled to the child's home, you need to consider gas, wear and tare on your car, travel time and curriculum costs.  Depending on the State, you may also need to pay for a business license.
  • Contact your State to find out about the laws, because each State is different..  
  • You will also have to report your income at the end of the year, and pay the usual payroll taxes out of your own pocket.  Tutoring Companies do not do this for you. It is not hard to do, but it is an added expense. 

P.S. I started out working for a tutoring company.  It helped me get my feet wet, and they helped with the legal requirements.  They also issue a 1099 at the end of the year making tax time a bit easier.

Tutoring companies always require that an adult be present when you are tutoring minors. They do not want you to be alone with a minor.  This is a practice I continue in my own tutoring.  So we have always tutored in the child's home, at the school,  or a public library.  I like tutoring in the home, because the children are more relaxed, and the parent can see what you are doing. 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yes, I will definitely advertise in our local library.  We don't have a homeschool group in our area.  I am trying to get one started though.  I don't think the schools would allow me to advertise since my kids will not be attending.  There are alot of negative thoughts here about those who HS, especially from those in the school system.

Quoting oredeb:

there was always homeschoolers loooking for math  tutors! specially when they get into the upper grades, so good idea! can you put an add in the library or paper, or with homeschool groups in your area? with schools?

Quoting starbeck96:

I have an associate degree in accounting and have subbed in the local school systems.  I definitely would stick only with math since that is my comfort zone.  I know I could at least go through 9th grade.  I probably could not help with geometry, but I could easily tutor Algebra, advanced math, and pre-cal.

The only reason I was thinking about Avon is because it is only 10.00 for start up.  For 10.00 even if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out that much.

I've also thought about doing 31 stuff..

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting Precious333:

absolutely you should! I would go by subject rather than age. You can also start a class if you have a curriculum too. Im sure there would be parents that homeschool that would lovethat. N my area we have homeschooling school I guess you would say....its an umbrella school and they do have teachers that that offer classes. That way if a parent wants someone to teach a certain subjec they have that opportunity.

Thank you!  We live in a small town but I know that there are plenty of HS here.  I have just started a local HS group on FB.  Alot of parents probably would love that.  I know that I'd love it if someone would offer to teach my boys science...lol.   Science is definitely my weak subject..

I may mention this idea to a few of the members of the HS group..We may could meet once a week or something..

How much do you think I should charge for tutoring.  I am thinking 10-15 per hour, since we live in such a small town.  I also thought about doing a small group of kids (maybe 3-5 ) of the same grade and charge around 8.00 per hour per kid.  

I would probably only tutor math since that is a subject that I feel the most comfortable with.  I also was a substitute teacher and had many compliments when I subbed for math, so I know that I am capable of teaching it.

tutors can actually get paid quite a bit in my area, but I tend to keep costs low when teaching classes and tutoring. Its up to  you :)

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
isabellamiller
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

along with tutoring, you could also charge extra to babysit

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Good luck!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Quoting isabellamiller:

along with tutoring, you could also charge extra to babysit

Unfortunately here if you babysit anyone besides family, you are supposed to be state licensed.  I would be fine as long as no one found out..  I think it is a stupid law.  I'd much rather my friend keep my daughter than a complete stranger..Anyway....my DH does not want me to babysit or tutor.  He said HS the kids is enough of a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN