Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

considering homeschooling

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

My child is starting kindergarten this year and I'm interested in homeschooling. Where do I begin? All I know is I'm not interested with anything claiming to be christian.

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

hi jenny, check out your homeschool law for your state first! http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

all you really need to do for kindergarten, is play with her, teach her some songs, poems, do lots of arts and crafts, do lots of hands on learning instead of sit down work, learning to count objects instead of on a paper, scribble on paper, do some cooking together, read lots to her, look at nature(bugs, animals etc) grow a garden, fun things!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Welcome Jenny,

Before taking any action, it is important to know your State laws.  I am a home school workshop leader, and am asked many questions such as yours.  So I put together a free web page to answer the most common questions.  The following article will help you find information concerning your State Laws, and much more

How To Home School

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Lol,I hear you on the Christian curriculum. We are straight up secular HS but I design my own curriculum.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

victorianmom55
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I create our curriculum using the library, internet and what she is interested in....all secular.

Shari, teacherPreschool Teacher and High School Homeschool Facilitator

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM
We are secular also, so I kind of pick and choose my curric instead of going with a boxed curric thr includes everything.
We use horizons for math
All about spelling for spelling
Handwriting without tears for handwriting
Still debating between elemental science and r.e.a.l. Science oddyssey
Story of the world for history - this is slightly Christian though. Didn't realize that at the time.
English for the thoughtful child for grammar
Living books for reading and supplements to science and history

I always recommend the book "the well trained mind" to everyone. I love it, it's a great guide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Kinder is a fun year and so easy to teach. Good luck!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Hi Jenny. Welcome to Homeschooling and to the group.  :)  Kindergarten is so much fun to teach.  As for religion, you do not have to worry about teaching this at such a young age anyway. Your child(ren) will learn the basic fundamentals from watching their parents.  Children at such a young age will mimic whomever they are around the most.  Just make everything you teach an enjoyable experience and your child(ren) will learn as much as they can handle. : )

BTW, we are a family of faith but do not actively teach our specific faith to our kids. We do however, teach about all faiths, including ours and even the non-faiths. I want my kids to know what there is out there and to make up their own minds whether they choose a faith of their own , choose their parent's faith or, as the case may be, not to choose a faith of their own at all, if they so choose.  That choice is theirs and their alone to make.  Okay, I am done digressing and will step off the soapbox now.  lol  :)   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN