Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New :)

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Mel
  • 20 Replies

Hi Everyone!!

My name is Mel. I'm a 24yr old SAHM of 3(ds 4yr9mo, dd1 2yr7mo, dd2 3mo) Last year DS attended a K$ program at our local private christian school. We REALLY love the school however DH and I both lost our jobs DH last year, myself this year(the day i had dd2) For financial reasons he won't be able to attend this upcoming year. Just for the book fee i can purchase an entire k5 curriculum for him. I'm also thinking of doing light work for dd1. Very excited and nervous about this upcoming school year :) My mom homeschool me and my 3 younger siblings for 5 years so i have some experience being homeschool just not homeschooling someone else :)

I just don't want to mess up. He's already learned so much from the school he went to. At 4 they can read 3-5 letter words, short and long vowel sounds, write in cursive simple sentences, spell 3 letter words, count and recognize up to 100. I feel like this gives me a little cushion so if i mess up big time he still won't be to far behind. I've started looking up laws for my state and at just a brief glance i'm already confused lol. I don't think i have to do any registering with my city until next year when he turns 6 so that gives me a year to figure it out :)

I'm leaning toward using a beka and konos. Any moms have experience with either of these? thoughts?

Looking forward to meeting and sharing with you ladies 

thank you :)

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM
We are all worried we will mess up at first :) you and he will be great! Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jun. 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Thank you! :)

Quoting Boobah:

We are all worried we will mess up at first :) you and he will be great! Welcome to the group!

ACKCES
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I will be using sonlight 1st grade multi subject for my soon to be 5 year old. I'm in the same position you are as far as having an advanced child. I looked at the K plan and feel he will be bored with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM

hi mel!! we all worry like that at first, but you wont mess your kids up!! any time they spend with you is a plus!

ive used bits of abeka and bits of konos, both good programs, konos is more of a unit study approach and you can include the other kids into it with no problems, and abeka is textbook approach,

what did your mom use on you and your siblings?   as for the state laws heres a site that will explain  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Thats awesome! I'm glad you recogize your childs skills and strengths and are acting on it. I definetly don't want to inhibit him I want him to succeed and grow :) 

Quoting ACKCES:

I will be using sonlight 1st grade multi subject for my soon to be 5 year old. I'm in the same position you are as far as having an advanced child. I looked at the K plan and feel he will be bored with it.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! You will be fine it is fun & easy when they are little like that!

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for the link! :) 

My mom used primarily the a beka video program for me since I was the oldest of the 4. The last year she homeschooled several families in our church encouraged her to try the konos so she kept the a beka for everything accept history and science. She thinks if she would have continued homeschooling she would have stuck more to konos. 

Is there a way to do a personality/learning test on a 5 year old and know the appropriate program?

Quoting oredeb:

hi mel!! we all worry like that at first, but you wont mess your kids up!! any time they spend with you is a plus!

ive used bits of abeka and bits of konos, both good programs, konos is more of a unit study approach and you can include the other kids into it with no problems, and abeka is textbook approach,

what did your mom use on you and your siblings?   as for the state laws heres a site that will explain  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thank you! I'm definetly looking forward to field trips. 

Quoting usmom3:

Welcome! You will be fine it is fun & easy when they are little like that!

omiestutz29
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Welcome! I know I am nervous, being that this is my first year too. Yet I know it will be beneficial for my boys. Just a thought. I know in my state I don't have to "register" them until they are like 7. Unless they have previously been enrolled in schools. Just make sure you really check. :) Good Luck!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Welcome melindabelcher,

I hear the fear in your words.  We have all been there.  You will do just fine.

If you contact your State Home School Association they can provide a lot of support for free including information about your State laws. They can also help you connect with other home educators near you., and much more. There is so much more free assistance available to home educators then there use to be.  At the following link, are two choices for Home School Associations In Massachusetts

To hold costs down, many home educators create their own lessons purchasing only what they need to meet their child's unique needs.  Here are some articles to help you with that:

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN