Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Social Studies and Health?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
Ok..my kiddos are 4 and 7 and will be in kindergarten and first grade. (One got held back and one is ahead. Makes for lots of competition at our house. geesh. ds gets upset that dd is almost reading at his level.) Anywho..
The state of Ohio requires that they have a health and social studies class..
Any suggestions? Also..does it have to be that extensive? They are already learning history and science..plus we do the normal at home stuff of learning to brush teeth, our address, city, state country etc,etc,etc. How much do they need to know at this point?
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Will this work for social studies?
http://www.christianbook.com/apps/product?item_no=2873913&event=ESRCG|M
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Hi tiredmom.  Here are a few links to get you started.

SocialStudies4KindergartenandUp

Health4Kindergarten2Secongrade

You really don't have to push too hard when they are this young. Just make sure you and they are having fun and enjoying the days as you both teach and learn.  : )   

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM

This is alright.  For young ones, its a method of trial and error to find the right approach. Some like this method and some don't.  As long as the children have a continued interest in the material they are learning from then I wouldn't worry about it.  If this method doesn't work, look around for another method. Maybe even something you make up. Whichever way she goes, is okay.   You will do okay mom.  :)  And so will your chid(ren).  : )

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Will this work for social studies?
http://www.christianbook.com/apps/product?item_no=2873913&event=ESRCG|M

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM

As a fellow Ohioan, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. 8) After the list of classes we 'have' to teach, the law then says, unless we don't want to, for whatever reason (beliefs or religious difference). Don't worry about making a Health Class or, for that matter,, a Fire Safety class (something else we are supposed to teach). Make sure to cover it in your daily life, of course, but you don't have to get official with it, if you don't want to. 8) I teach health when I talk to the kids about why apples are better than candy or when we all go for a bike ride. Social Studies is more fun. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)