Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have very little free time or "me" time.  My time for "me" is the hour I spend at church board once a month, our Bible study at the church twice a month, and I take a half hour each day reading (when I sit in "my spot" the kids know not to come to me unless there is blood or flames).  So I really don't understand my old friends any more.  So many of them want "me" time each week in the form of a girls' night out.  I left my drinking days in college.  I have a husband and kids.  So do they!  Lately my friends and I have been drifting apart because I don't go out with them, but now that I'm homeschooling we are having big arguments.  When I post things on fb about what we are learning or what we've been doing, I often get some feedback that I don't even understand.  How they can't wait for summer to be over so the kids go back to school (for goodness sake, it's still June!).  About how they couldn't have Mom be their "only" identity.  About how crazy I am to give up "my life" for my kids.

Can anyone tell me why these people had kids to begin with?  Being Mom is a great accomplishment!  We have them for such a short time, why don't they want to make the most of it?  Will these girls also be the ones I hear with Grandchildren lamenting not having spent enough time with their kids when they had the chance?  I've been thinking of unfriending them at this point, but some are girls I graduated high school with!  We've been friends for 20+ years!  I'd really like to understand them.  I know I'll never agree with them (not even on the darkest and worst days do I get the idea of "only" being a Mom.)

Thoughts?

EDIT ***** 7/9/2012

Holy Hannah!! I'm so not reading all of these posts!

Had myself a wonderful vacation, unfriended them when I got back from Family Camp, and feel SOOOO much better now!

Yeah, they may realize they are wishing their children away one day, but they aren't going to have me to complain to until they do!

They do go out drinking every Friday, they are complaining that they wish their kids could go back to school already, they turn every post geared toward my children or their own into a negative b**** session. I don't need that, I like to think about my life as a positive, if they don't, who needs them?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never understood people like that either. it never made sense to me to have kids, and yet act like you really, truly DISLIKE them. I have a medical condition, so I was just so grateful to be blessed with my two boys. I actually enjoy being with them. But I think if I were running around as much as some of my Ps acquaintances do, I'd probably be short-tempered as well? Idk. I'd say if they can't be supportive then they weren't that great of friends to begin with....but you'll always have us, your CM sisters!
Shari55
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM
9 moms liked this

I ask this alotconfused of many of my friends who say "I can't wait till school is back in session" or " How can you stand being around your children all the time?"  I tell people I enjoy spending time with my girls, we have alot of fun together, talking, going window shopping etc, and teaching them.

Ofcourse it helps to have a fantastic husband who always watched the girls on Saturday morning so that I could go have time to myself, doing what I wanted to do, such as going to the library, coffee shop or just going to the mall. 

When I graduated high school (1975) friends asked me what I wanted to do with my life, I always said get married and have children, to which I was laughed at, because women were not suppose to stay home, we were to break the glass ceiling of the corporate world. 

Shari, Preschool Teacher and High School Homeschool Facilitator

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM
5 moms liked this
I just wanted to add, I've never had a 'girls night out', but I have my reading spot and the kids know that if I go there during the day, then I'm 'on a break'...lol...otherwise I read a few hours each night, once the kids are in bed and before DH gets home from class (after 11 pm). This has always been enough 'me time' for me! My kids haven't really ever done sleepovers either. I can count on my fingers the numbers of times they went to grandmas without me! I figure I'll miss them enough once they are adults living on their own...
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I've never understood people like that either. it never made sense to me to have kids, and yet act like you really, truly DISLIKE them. I have a medical condition, so I was just so grateful to be blessed with my two boys. I actually enjoy being with them. But I think if I were running around as much as some of my Ps acquaintances do, I'd probably be short-tempered as well? Idk. I'd say if they can't be supportive then they weren't that great of friends to begin with....but you'll always have us, your CM sisters!

Awww!  Thanks!

Bethsunshine
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM
4 moms liked this
I also don't understand the celebration that happens every year around September when kids go back to school. I also don't get the complaining that's happening right now because GASP the kids are actually home every day!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Saraho5
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM
4 moms liked this
It's so nice to be around like-minded folks! Just makes life more simple.

It also feels more natural having my kids with me than not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow makes one wonder how these moms would do before public schools were created..... 

NoraDun
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM
4 moms liked this

BOY do you sound like me. In all honestly THIS is why our country is the way it is, and why we have so many children who are troubled and unaccomplished. Its sad. I believe nothing is more important then being a mother. And that IS my identity. I AM A MOM....100% all the time. And my children blossom because of it!! Anyway I very much agree with you!! 

HarrisonMD
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I so enjoy being a SAHM...DH and I didn't have our kids until later in our marriage (we are in our 40's), so we've had our couple time/partying time and got all that out of our systems! lol...And even though our children are 2 and under, I wouldn't change it for anything! I love spending time with my babies and watching them grow and if none of my "friends" likes it...Oh Well! So sorry for them! Every once in a while I do ask for "me" time, but it's very few and far between, plus it's called naps and bedtime when the kids go down! lol

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM
7 moms liked this

I think that "we" as mom's need some down time.  We had an extra child thrown in about 2 1/2 mos ago.  My sister is one of those that can't think of anyone but herself and therefore couldn't "waste" her life being a mom, so I took her DD in.  I have since had another child for almost 2 weeks.  I am ready for a break.  I have had 3 children for awhile now and I just want to sleep.  This has given me insight into what Mom's of more children go through.  I have and never wish my children and my life away.  I just want a few hours COMPLETELY alone to take a nap in total silence, so that I can be refreshed to go at it again with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN