Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter wants to go back to public school

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

My daughter's going into the 2nd grade & I've homeschooled her most of the 1st grade & all of 3-5k! Now all of a sudden she tells me that she wants to go back to public school. The only thing is that, we're not in the same district anymore & this school district is not that great...the school report card was a C on a brand new school! Idk what to do! She likes being homeschooled...so she says! Should I give it another shot w/the public school or continue homeschooling?

shrugging

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shari55
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

. One question I have is does she play with neighborhood children who attend the public school? I know that was one of the issues I had when my girls were young, they wanted to be around thier friends who attended public school. 

However it comes down to you have to do what is best for your family.

krilerby
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I don't have an answer for you, only to do the best for you and your family.  

Kolby is telling me the same thing.  We're going to give it a try.  Riley will start K this year, and so I'll put him in PS too.  The only problem, and one that I don't think they fully understand: they will be in different schools.  Kolby in MS and Riley in ES.  We'll see. 

irvinehiker
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try to get to the bottom of it and figure out exactly why she wants to go to ps.  She may tell you one reason, but have another.  You need to make a decision that is best for her.(she may not like it!)  Shari may be on to something, 2nd graders can be easily led by peers.

lil_mama06
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

HUGS and i give my kiddos the choice to go public or stay home..I have 6 daughters..2 adults..1 homeschooled and 1 just graduated public high school..And the next 2 go to public school and the last 2 want to homeschool.. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

If this is sudden, it's just a phase and say no. Keep her busy and make sure she understands that PS is not an option unless the educational standard improves. She'll thank you when she graduates high school knowing how to read at an adult level, not at a fourth grade one. 8^/

AllThatBabyJazz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

For our family we have decided that if that situation ever arose that we would continue to homeschool.

Good luck on your decision. 

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I would find out the actual reason she wants to go to public school. I don't know how active you are outside your home but you might want to consider enrolling her in some ECs so she can take a break from home. I think that is something we often forget, the kids want a break from home too.

gigules04
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

We're out in the country...lol...there's not any kids around here except for a few! Before me moved that's what Hayley Jade was wanting too! The only kids that she's around is on the weekends:  Friday is dragstrip night, Saturday we end up back around the same area that we use to live in...our friends/family/even my grocery stores are in our old area & then you got church on Sunday! I'm changing to a virtual homeschool that one of her friends are in....maybe that will help!

Quoting Shari55:

. One question I have is does she play with neighborhood children who attend the public school? I know that was one of the issues I had when my girls were young, they wanted to be around thier friends who attended public school. 

Shari55
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Wow I would love to live out in the country! There are to many kids here, I live in a big city. Sounds like a Virtural homeschool just might work for her. 

Quoting gigules04:

We're out in the country...lol...there's not any kids around here except for a few! Before me moved that's what Hayley Jade was wanting too! The only kids that she's around is on the weekends:  Friday is dragstrip night, Saturday we end up back around the same area that we use to live in...our friends/family/even my grocery stores are in our old area & then you got church on Sunday! I'm changing to a virtual homeschool that one of her friends are in....maybe that will help!

Quoting Shari55:

Shari, Preschool Teacher and High School Homeschool Facilitator

gigules04
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM

We're not city girls...lol...I tried living in a neighborhood when they were getting everything ready for the well out here but I was going crazy...so much going on & people wanting to know everyones business. It didn't work for us...lol! I can let Hayley Jade sit in our yard to play & not worry about anything! We hunt too...so we can shoot off the guns & not worry about hitting someone/something! She turns 7 tomorrow & loves it! I'm gonna look more into the virtual homeschool & see what it's all about!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)