Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Online Courses...

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

Like Connections Academy... anyone ever used this or have any experience with any of the online programs?

I've been making up the curriculum as I go and doing things on my own for some time now and it's working, except I get sidetracked or forget and get busy doing other things. I think it would be beneficial for my son and myself to have some sort of a schedule and something laid out for us where we sit down for an hour or so a day and do work. I was looking at connections academy and requested an information packet from them, but in the mean time, I wanted to ask if any of the moms on here have used it and what their opinions were of it, or any of the others available.

Thank you!

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Time4learning.com

don't know anyting about connections. 

-StarsChildren-
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Thanks Chotovec, will be looking that over and bookmarking for after DS is in bed :)

SilentDraconia
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I use time4learning as well for the off days. No clue about connections
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I have looked at Connections and thought it seemed pretty good but haven't gone any futher than that.

awilliams77
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
WE tried Connections back in 09 for 3 of our students. It did NOT work well for our family. And our kids were elem-hs age at that time. Sounds like your son might still be pretty young. We've always homeschooled, and Connections seemed like it would be better as a transitionto hs from ps. I don't know how else to put it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM

hi stars!!! good morning!

ive never heard anything negative about it, but never used it myself

i write my own curr also, something i do that helps me keep on track is make a lesson plan every week on friday evening or saturday, for the next week, then i have everything ready and just a glance and i know what im doing each day, also i start schooling at a certain time every day  adn that keeps me on track.

krilerby
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM

We used CA this past year for 3rd grade.  Kolby hated it simply because it was actually below his level, if that makes sense.  We homeschooled for 2nd grade and started 3rd grade on our own.  He voiced an interest in going back to ps, so I thought CA would have been great (transcripts, STARR testing things like that).  We started in late October, and he was expected to start at the beginning, not taking into account that we had already been teaching. Then, towards the end of the semester, they placed temp zeros on him for the work he hadn't completed yet.  They didn't take into account that he was working his hiney off completing past work. So, it was almost all review until after the Christmas break.  Even if Kolby wasn't going into ps for 4th grade, we wouldn't have used them again. 

-StarsChildren-
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Thanks Ladies! Much appreciated on your opinions and the idea of writing up the curriculum a head of time so I can just look at it and know what is going on and when :)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I use k12 and have looked at connections  I like both but chose k12 because I knew someone who used it and could look at the curriculum before I chose.  I like k12, I do skip and change some of the curriculum on my own if it seems to easy for my girls.  Good luck on your decision.

kcangel63
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM
We use Acellus.com

Here is a link for a review site for online programs if you go that way.

http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/homeschool-curriculum-reviews.html

Sorry it's not clicky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)