Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another week of scorching hot temps....what to do???

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

Just checking my weather this morning I saw we are having a 2nd week of temps between 90 and 100 and no end in sight!  It's 8am and my ac is running constantly.  We'll probaly keep cool by having some sprinkler mornings and playing games and reading inside in the afternoon.  The bigger ? is what to cook for dinner?  With temps like these I don't like to make big meals.  What are you doing to stay cool and What's for dinner??? 

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM

awlful we arent having any hot days here yet, its going to be in the low 70s, and maybe raining

something i fix for dinner when we do get a rogue hot day is chicken salad

i buy one of those chickens thats already roasted from safeway or winco or fred meyers(not sure what store you have) and take all the meat off the bone, make up a salad add the chicken, make up some salad dressing add that and top with croutons, i always make a loaf of sourdough to go with it, grilled with garlic and butter also, ice cream for dessert! ice tea for something to drink, my husband is a big meat eater but he does enjoy the chicken salad and it fills him up

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting oredeb:

awlful we arent having any hot days here yet, its going to be in the low 70s, and maybe raining

something i fix for dinner when we do get a rogue hot day is chicken salad

i buy one of those chickens thats already roasted from safeway or winco or fred meyers(not sure what store you have) and take all the meat off the bone, make up a salad add the chicken, make up some salad dressing add that and top with croutons, i always make a loaf of sourdough to go with it, grilled with garlic and butter also, ice cream for dessert! ice tea for something to drink, my husband is a big meat eater but he does enjoy the chicken salad and it fills him up

MMMMMM....that sound's good!  I think I'll buy sourdough..no baking bread this week.  That would be good w/ a lemon juice/yogurt dressing and some fresh raspberries on the salad.  I'm going to try that.  Thanks!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I am cooking beans in the crockpot for dinner tonight.  I will cook vegetables from our garden to go with it.  Our forecast for the week is 101 to upper 90s.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM

We are in the same boat. At least we got our power restored. Four kids and no AC when it hit a hundred and 3, not fun.

We got library books, and bubbles, a small splash pool, and some random craft things. My 7yo used a whole roll of Scotch tape to tape gravel and pencils.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Its been muggy here as well. I usually cook on the George Foreman grill or crockpot as they don't heat up the house. And we do a lot of grinder nights!
Channell07
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM
We just got our electric back yesterday but there are many in our area that still don't have it (including both libraries) so we are having to get creative. I found a science experiment link on pinterest so we are going to make gak, fingerpaint, and I have some felt and Velcro so I'm making little road pieces my son can stick to the carpet and reconfigure at will. As far as food, I would be grilling but a huge tree landed on our grill :-/. A lot of stuff in our freezer ruined while we were waiting on a generator to get to us so we are making mismatched meals right now. Last night was hot dogs, cheesy rice, and corn. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Well it is suppose to be in the upper 90's with a heat index of 103! Also one of my window a/c's decided to start leaking into the apartment...so am going to have the girls help reposition it and hope that is the problem and not that it broke ( I did hear something crack the other day when it shut down(energy saver), so I will find out).

My girls are older and will either read or play on the PS3, or find a movie to watch...if all else fail, this mom will watch Lord of The Rings extended edition...clears out the living room every time....LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM
We put a blow up pool in the garage, give kids water and colored ice cubes to play with, sprinkler and water table fun, stay inside with the air, build forts/tents inside, play with flashlights...
Dinner was hot dogs on the grill, baked beans, and chips. We ave been trying to grill as much as we can so we don't heat up the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Quoting Boobah:

We put a blow up pool in the garage, give kids water and colored ice cubes to play with, sprinkler and water table fun, stay inside with the air, build forts/tents inside, play with flashlights...
Dinner was hot dogs on the grill, baked beans, and chips. We ave been trying to grill as much as we can so we don't heat up the house.

What do they do with colored ice cubes? Do they play with them in the pool?

And we don't have a grill. When it gets really muggy we just do grinders for dinner..lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Quoting Shari55:

Well it is suppose to be in the upper 90's with a heat index of 103! Also one of my window a/c's decided to start leaking into the apartment...so am going to have the girls help reposition it and hope that is the problem and not that it broke ( I did hear something crack the other day when it shut down(energy saver), so I will find out).

My girls are older and will either read or play on the PS3, or find a movie to watch...if all else fail, this mom will watch Lord of The Rings extended edition...clears out the living room every time....LOL

The frame probably just cracked a bit. Realigning it should work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN