Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

At a loss

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am just venturing into homeschooling and trying to figure out what method of teaching and learning would be best for my family has me at a loss. Theres so much information and I am just completely overwhelmed!

How did you know what method was right for your family?

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Experimentation. We tried one thing that looked good on paper. When it didn't work, I considered why and moved on to something else that might work better and so on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM
It'll be my first year too!

How old are your kids?
Mine are 6,3,&1. So, I'm only getting formal curriculum for my oldest. Everytime I see all these wonderful things out there, I reign it back in. My goal is to keep it as simple & painless as possible. lol

I think it'll become a little more complicated when they are all school
age though.

Good luck! & sorry I'm not more help :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I always new I wanted it to look nothing like the PS but it is hard to get away from the only think you ever knew. So We started as eclectic homeschoolers leaning toward unschooling & over the coarse of a few years we gently transitioned to full on unschooling.

cryscrab
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

My kids are a little older than yours. They are 13, 12, 9, and 2. We are transitioning out of ps so this is new to all of us. I want my children to be able to ENJOY learning again and to be able to learn about anything they want to. I dont know any homeschoolers at all so we are all gonna need time to adjust! i am extremely nervous lol

Quoting Saraho5:

It'll be my first year too!

How old are your kids?
Mine are 6,3,&1. So, I'm only getting formal curriculum for my oldest. Everytime I see all these wonderful things out there, I reign it back in. My goal is to keep it as simple & painless as possible. lol

I think it'll become a little more complicated when they are all school
age though.

Good luck! & sorry I'm not more help :-)

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

It is going to be my first year also. 

I wanted to use a pre-written curriculum but I did mix and match subjects.

I will be HS a kindergartener and two 9th graders.  I am making up a schedule and a weekly plan.  I have to have it organized in order to feel that I've accomplished something.

cryscrab
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

How are you going about your 9th graders curriculum? My dd would be starting 8th grade in ps but i am positive she could excel with higer grade curriculum!

Also have your children been in ps and if so how are the older ones handling the transition?

Quoting starbeck96:

I will be HS a kindergartener and two 9th graders.  I am making up a schedule and a weekly plan.  I have to have it organized in order to feel that I've accomplished something.

Shari55
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

When we first started homeschooling eons ago, we tried the different methods, our first year was interesting to say the least. 

Each child learns differently so what worked for one didn't work for the other. Now that I am down to just teaching one( and she learns very independently), she is a hands on learner and being a high school senior this year is going to be fun.

Shari,  not just a wife, mom, grandma, I am also a daycare provider and a Kindergarten teacher

black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM
I just taught my kids the way I always have. I got books at the library and bookstore and we worked together. I dont follow any styles I hear about. I just do my own thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The boys will be using Abeka for everything except Spanish and Science.  For science we are using Apologia and for Spanish we are using Rosetta stone.

The boys have been in PS since kindergarten.  We have not began HS yet but plan to next month.  It was actually their idea to HS.  I was planning on HS my daughter.  They came to me and asked if i would HS them also.  My husband and I prayed about it and decided that they are old enough to know if they want to continue to go to PS or to HS.

But, we had a very bad year this year in sports.  The main reason they were going to PS was so they could play school sports.  But after the year they had, they were not going to play high school sports anyway.  They were also in a very bad class.  They were in the worst class in the school.  I've had a few teachers say that...
They are excited about HS..

Quoting cryscrab:

How are you going about your 9th graders curriculum? My dd would be starting 8th grade in ps but i am positive she could excel with higer grade curriculum!

Also have your children been in ps and if so how are the older ones handling the transition?

Quoting starbeck96:

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Understanding the different learning styles is what helped me the most:  Understanding Your Child's Learning Style (video format) It is free

Recently at a home school convention I came across the following company that helps parents figure these things out... they do charge a fee though The Oaks Private School

Also this article might help.  How To Home School (it is a free web page with lots of resources.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN